Who's been in Amsterdam, a real boat city

Notices

Who's been in Amsterdam, a real boat city

Old 04-17-2002, 11:59 AM
Charter Member#1205
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's been in Amsterdam, a real boat city

Went to Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Holland and just got back.
Being an EX hippie I was not going to test my myself by going to Amsterdam with all that I'd heard, but after a long high speed boat trip in the North Sea (7'-10'seas)on a new 150+' long turbine alum ferry that averaged 37knots (no kidding check out colorline.com) we decided to check out the boats in Amsterdam.

We got to Amsterdam which is like Venice, Italy and full of canals, also, the whole country is diked with these 4 story earth mounds to keep out the North Sea. I wanted to stay on one of the converted barges but couldn't find any info on renting one, so I just walked around the first afternoon knocking on barge windows until I hooked up with a guy who had one to rent. Stayed for 1 weeks on a beautiful 100 year old barge condo, moored on a canal in the town center @ $100 per day. It was unreal there. The stoners get high in coffee houses that are set up for drug heads with everything they might want, the red lite district is interesting but they can't hold a candle to the south Florida girls.
The marine industry and history of the area was the best, all kinds of boats and a great boat museum. I highly suggest a trip there and if any wants to stay on a boat let me know.

Saw scarabs and some foreign offshore boats there and it looks like party place!!!
Terrygar
Old 04-18-2002, 01:27 PM
Jeff

So you were hanging around Canal Street. I found myself wandering aimlessly after visiting a couple of coffee shops. We drove there from Hamburg in a buddies new M-5 6 speed, sweeet.

Old 04-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spent time there this past March... It was awesome!
Old 04-18-2002, 07:06 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,645 Likes on 3,773 Posts

Been there 3 times , once for 45 days in 99, what a great place,
unfortunately coundnt hang out at the coffee shops but did consume a lot of beer. and what would a trip to amsterdam be without a trip to the district. since i had been there before i was the tour guide for the whole trip. the whole country is awesome
great place to go.