Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mods to drop-down bolsters for sit-down driving? >

Mods to drop-down bolsters for sit-down driving?

Notices

Mods to drop-down bolsters for sit-down driving?

Old 04-18-2002, 08:03 AM
kook

Question Mods to drop-down bolsters for sit-down driving?

I am interested in trying to drive in "sit down" mode, at speed (80mph+), like the F1 race boats. I know the bolsters, as they are, will not tolerate the kind of banging that the seat bottoms would see. My seat bottom latch pins bent once and I was doing under 60 mph - a pain in th ass to bend them back. The latch pins are the only thing that supports the seat bottom at the front of the seat.

I was thinking of adding some type of support brace to the bolster frame, under the front of the seat bottom - something to take the load off of the drop down hinge pins. Obviously it would need to be a non-fixed brace which is relatively easy to unfasten from one side, so that the seat bottom could be dropped down without having to break-out any tools. I would also need to get some additional padding for my ass - another 6" or so - this would also improve visibility while seated, compared to the existing visibility.

Any thoughts? No cash for race bolsters.... plus I do like to drop them down, which I don't think is possible with these. Boat is a Sunsation.

Old 04-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Miami

kook - I guess the easy answer is increase the size ( diameter ) of the latch pins. Make sure to increase the strength of the front brace of the seat and the area of the bolster support that the pins go into.

Have upholstry shop add 1 1/2", closed cell foam ( the real expensive stuff ) on top of your existing padding. They can create a seam on the additional vinyl material near the bottom. It will not be that obvious.

Another option may be to call Sunsation and order a driver side footrest. When I am running hard in rough water, in the seated position, I place my feet on the angled footrest. When I see a hole, a big wave or an " oh **** " situation, I push up slightly with my feet. This takes the pressure off my butt, seat & back.

Most race boats have specially designed , padded and secure seats. These seats insure that the operators bodies stay in one protected place. It is difficult to contro the wheel, throttles, tabs and trim when your body is being banged around. Godd Luck Paul

See Ya in Annapolis!