Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Dry Sump 6 drive Torco or Amsoil gear oil? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/224699-dry-sump-6-drive-torco-amsoil-gear-oil.html)

Coolerman 02-18-2010 11:31 PM

For higher hp people, like the turbine guys or nasty piston engines, I heard that some of them are running merc gear lube in the 6's because it is a little more shock resistant? Eats up a little more power, but is easier on the drives?

skater40 02-19-2010 01:31 PM

Since i switched to amsoil,the tops of my drives do not show signs of heat like they did with the torco.

rhr 163.1 02-19-2010 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by HotPursuit (Post 3049812)
I don't go by manufactures test,, real life real broken gears and burnt up bearings. In the #3s with 1100+ I was going through gears in under 20 hrs.I also believe in OEM recommended parts and lube,but they weren't paying for the repairs and yes I know they were not made to handle that rated HP. 6s are only rated for 1200 and look what we run through them.
After installing 4-5 different gear lubes I tried amsoil and never looked back started breaking prop shafts.Solved that problem by making large shafts for the 3s and 4s. Then we would inspect after 100hrs with perfect gears and bearings.The drives also ran 40-50* cooler with amsoil. Im running Torco in one drive and amsoil in the other and will let Randy with Marine Drives make the decision which works the best.
The #3 drives have sold on this site at least three times and have only had a gear ratio change and the owner sold the 1-1 ratio upper gears that were removed. We shall see.
MY vette and Mercedes came from the factory with synthetics installed,,just saying. :drink:

Randy @ Marine Drive Inc runs Torco MTF in all his #6s he ships and so does Craig C :drink:

HotPursuit 02-19-2010 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by rhr 163.1 (Post 3050518)
Randy @ Marine Drive Inc runs Torco MTF in all his #6s he ships and so does Craig C :drink:

Keith Nunez runs amsoil in his drives because Randy gets paid to do the rebuilds. :lolhit:

HotPursuit 02-19-2010 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by saxman (Post 3050076)
For higher hp people, like the turbine guys or nasty piston engines, I heard that some of them are running merc gear lube in the 6's because it is a little more shock resistant? Eats up a little more power, but is easier on the drives?

I don't think you can run anything higher than 50wt in the dry sumps due to the pump and spray nozzles. Wet sumps are a different story I ran 90-140 wt.

MikeStaz 02-25-2010 10:04 PM

Amsoil is a fine oil. I think Mobil 1 is the best personally.

BobinCovington 08-17-2010 05:13 PM

I've been following this thread and learning as I go... and I am looking for the right drive gear oil for the "antique" in my old Donzi (1966 16' Ski/Sporter with Eaton Series Sixteen Drive, Engine is Hi Perf Ford 289, 270hp built by Dave Zeuschel in 66). Didn't mean to hijack the thread or take it off topic, but there are more people in this thread who really appear to know what they are talking about. If anyone can offer a little help with recommending the right stuff, hope you don't mind shooting a PM or email my way. Looking at Torco RGO, Redline HD Shock Proof and Amsoil.

thanks for the help

NASCAT 08-17-2010 08:04 PM

Ilmor has recommends Mobil 1 Synthetic in their engines & Torco for their new dry sump drives. Off topic but just sharing!

JoeD 08-17-2010 08:34 PM

I have run the Torco in my #6's for 8 years with no problems
37' Outerlimits with 800hp motors.

precisiondetails 08-17-2010 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow (Post 3049632)
I do not doubt Amsoil as a quality product, but I have to wonder how much wear did they expect to see with only 525's on Number Sixes? I would expect them to look new.

True but.... two years, and they werent doin Poker Runs they were racing, much more of a beatting so it almost makes up for it. Just my thought.