Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
T2X, I have a question for you >

T2X, I have a question for you

Notices

T2X, I have a question for you

Old 04-18-2002, 12:31 PM
Firewalker

Default T2X, I have a question for you

I read in a few posts that you consider that Challenger 21 as one of the greatest boats of all time. I have two in my ever growing fleet, one a 77, the other an 81 with twins,and an airated bottom, what do you know about the latter boat.

Thanks

RT

Last edited by Firewalker; 04-18-2002 at 01:11 PM.

Old 04-18-2002, 01:15 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Well let's see......... George Linder built the 77 Challenger and my company built the 81, which is technically a Shadow, not a Challenger.

In 1981 we built two "stepped" hulls. To my knowledge, these were the first "stepped" production fibreglass hulls (based on antiquated seaplane pontoon technology...that we didn't invent). Of course Reggie "invented" steps later ..at about the same time that Hustler "invented" them.

One was a stern drive with a turbocharged 260 Mercruiser. The second was an outboard .......... They were both grey and navy blue originally and were displayed at the New York Boat Show. The steps were approximately 4 feet ahead of the transom and were 1 1/2" deep. The performance was similar in speed but both boats were "slippery" in turns and did not track as true as the standard bottoms. I remember suggesting to the eventual owner of the outboard hull that he "aerate" the steps by drilling holes and running an air manifold from a scoop on the deck or hull sides. I also suggested small aluminum fins on the outer strakes and chine to "lock in" the stern. (Something you Stepped bottom owners might consider.....
Based on your question I guess he did some of that...... The boat had a single 225 Mercury on it at the time.

Enjoy it....them,...and come to Skaterfest.....George and I will both be there.

T2x
Old 04-18-2002, 01:38 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you call those fins, speed strakes? Volvo had something similar.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:59 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

No, I'd call them skid fins......................

T2x
Old 04-18-2002, 02:02 PM
Registered

I would call them ANTI-skid fins!
Old 04-18-2002, 02:03 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Isn't that a little negative? I mean anti-this, .....anti-that .......pretty soon you'll be obsolete.........like me.

T2x
Old 04-18-2002, 02:07 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

This would do the trick!!! I'm trying to get Hydra to add this to his new hull design...The boat turns like it is on rails!
Attached Thumbnails T2X, I have a question for you-webbb191a.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 04-18-2002, 02:07 PM
Registered

I guess I am showing my age. 30 years old and it is all down hill from here!
Old 04-18-2002, 03:04 PM
Firewalker

Ok, Does Ron Mander ring a bell, because I think that is who built my boat, I do know it was rigged by him. This boat was built in Canada, it has twin tanks, floor and bow, with transfer pumps. It has always had twin engines. They are a pair of slOMC, and it runs an honest 90mph. The bottom is not stepped all the way across, but it is about 4 feet forward and say 30" wide. It has a chamber glassed infront of it and tubes that run up to the motor well. Holes are drilled into the step entering the chamber. And obvioulsy moving forward creates a vacuum drawing air down the tubes in the chamber and finnally onto the bottom. This boat is kinda rare that is y it is in my fleet....... it is kinda retro, with real suade interior, but only 49 hrs on the meter, 1981 corvette rims on the trailer etc.

Thanks for the info.
As a side note, I have a buddy that ownes a fiberglass shop and is almost solely employed buy a hook nosed boat manufacture, bottoms, sides, and transoms are common, and they sure can't keep up to my Velocity, let alone Pete's new 36.

Last edited by Firewalker; 04-18-2002 at 03:27 PM.

Old 04-18-2002, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the boat you talking about was originally built for a guy named Ron Chiavetti from Toronto Cda. I don't think Ron built the boat but he certainly did rig it and it was one fast mother of a boat . There was a company in Cda building these hulls under the name of Scorpion , They may have built that boat. I'm not sure they are still in business. Rick G.

Quick Reply: T2X, I have a question for you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.