'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 02-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing no one has mentioned is the swim platform on the Donzi. Its a slippery SOB. The only boat I've ever fallen off of was the back of a Donzi.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It all depends on what you want do do with the boat. There are others not mentioned that cover the strong aspects of both boats being compared.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaboatnut
I stopped and talk to ya out back there about a yr. and a half ago. I run a lawn business (WiseGuys). Bought the 29 outlaw. Anyway been meaning to call you to discuss your donzi as I'm interested in one for sale and remebered you had one. Couldnt remember what yr. yours was.
lol. . . .yea i remember that. Stop by I'll tell ya everything i know about them.

(most importantly chicks dig THIS boat)
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 02-22-2010, 04:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
It all depends on what you want do do with the boat. There are others not mentioned that cover the strong aspects of both boats being compared.
active thunder maybe?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by anewway
One thing no one has mentioned is the swim platform on the Donzi. Its a slippery SOB. The only boat I've ever fallen off of was the back of a Donzi.
Yep, get as much non skid on there as ya can. The fore deck is treacherous as well, extremely easy to go in the drink if freshly waxed. The sun pad is also at an angle that makes it a bit tricky. The boat is drop dead gorgeous but i sometimes question the ergonomics of this thing. As said above the dash/windscreen is a bit high and tough to see over and the bilge is way small and tight for any type of service. You need to be real agile and flexible to do the simplest tasks. All the cleats are in horrible positions from the mid cleats being just plain poorly placed to the cleats on the swim platform being in a position that makes damage to the vinyl a regular occurrence. The cabin is comfortable but only for two. The boat is drop dead sexy and most of this stuff you get use to pretty easy. It performs well and turns heads big time. It is really a good lookin boat in the water and seems huge next to any other 38. Quality is very good as well, aside from a onboard charger going bad and one drive (my fault) this is pretty much 100% OEM with 250 hrs.

last run of last year in october
[youtube]KuEZ8z1wmlw[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails Top Gun vs. 38zx-boats-003.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 02-22-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Registered

I will only comment on the big water and can't be handled by the Donzi and have to say truly "false"!! Ran big water in mine for 4 seasons and 400+ hours and it runs rough water like a dream. Friends put away their boats and rode in mine because the 38zx's beam swallows rough water. Down side is all the extra amenities in the cabin eventually take a beating in really rough stuff. All this said, they are both great boats and are a lot of fun. Both do two totally opposite types of boating. Also with the speed comments, the twin steps with 500's I have ran with were running true mid to upper 70's in our neck of the woods and mine ran 70-74 on GPS all day with heavy fuel and lots of friends on board. Good luck in your search, there are a lot of great boats out there for reasonable prices.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I would also tell you to look hard at the Powerquest it is very comparable to the Donzi in size and ride and ammenities. I have rode on a Donzi, and on a 38 cig. Dont get me wrong I will more then likly own a cig next, but i do love my PQ now.. Good luck in what ever you do decide on.

Rich.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bajaboatnut,
Pay attention though as your other post indicated a 1998 38Zx. This is not a twin step that started in 1999 and is what most of the above posts pertain to. The 98 will ride somwhat different and be slower with equal power.
Also being a very heavy boat you may need an alum trailer and 15k tow rating to be legal going down the road. And 9'3" beam is illegal to tow w/out permit in some states. Not that either one of these conditions is blown each & every day by many.
But the 38Zx is one of my favorites and with a family the cockpit & cabin space are very comfortable. In a cig you'll look great and ride great, but not be comfortable at the dock or anchor point or entertaining another family. Most have vacuflush, many have air, and some have a gen too. I think it's a perfect shot at what the baja 38 special was close to being.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:13 AM

The big difference is they are both great boats. And yes they both handle rough water well. The 38TG is made for speed, low cabin, no imenties. better working room in engine compartment. The Donzi 38ZX big boat wide beam and a big cabin with Microwave, fridge, Head with shower, table converts to bed and sleeps 4. Very cabin friendly. Very high freeboard and a big cockpit can sit 6 no problem. I have a 33ZX and she can crush waves. The down falls, you have to go through the front hatch to get to the anchor "becarefull not to fall off "narrow nose" The platform is slippery but non slip adheseve solves that. The angle rear hatch is great for tanning, The ladies love it and the freshwater shower on the transom is a nice touch. The engine compartment is tight, very tight. The 38ZX is a gentelmans performance boat and is great for overnight stays and coves.. also good in Poker Runs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.