Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New Transmissions showed up! BADDD!!!!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/225024-new-transmissions-showed-up-baddd.html)

BigSilverCat 03-08-2010 09:37 AM

I don't know how the number 6's live except that it has really smooth power delivery.. I know it has alot of power because that big heavy 50 nortech felt like it would out accelerate the 42 gtx Outerlimits that we installed 1550 sterlings in... Then again he probably has never been as hard on it as he was trying to break my transmission...

Quinlan 03-08-2010 12:59 PM

Good job Tyson.

Rexx 03-12-2010 10:30 AM

Incredible job Tyson, it's innovators like you who keep the offshore boating industry fascinating.

VortechSS 10-07-2015 09:51 PM

Bumping an old thread to find out how well these have held up. still have them in your boat, Jim? How many other sets are out and running?

FREEDOM US1 10-07-2015 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by VortechSS (Post 4363633)
Bumping an old thread to find out how well these have held up. still have them in your boat, Jim? How many other sets are out and running?

Great transmissions!!! First place in the Bimini and back race in 2010 and they survived!! Plus I usually run Freedom US1 46 Skater hard anyway. Only 12 sets or so were built. They worked great for me.

BigSilverCat 10-08-2015 08:05 AM

The transmissions have worked good, the ones in jims are still serial number 1 and 2 and besides when his number six drive breaking while he was full throttle and twisting off the transmission input shaft from that drive locking up all the internals are still the same ones we built them with back in 2007. This spring one of the electric shift solenoids stuck open and tried to run first and second at the same time and burned the high gear clutches while we were going 40 mph through a channel in the keys, we just put it in first gear and drove the rest of the way home. It was like having a back up trans in the boat.

We just have not had the time to build any more but I have designed a new transmission for my new boat that you can run full power and full time in forward and reverse, so you could switch between spinning in or out just by flipping a switch.
They will be rated to handle 5000 hp.
(I will need them to handle over 3000 ftlbs) I will put some pics of it on here in a few weeks.

999JAY 10-08-2015 02:26 PM

Are they going to be for your diesel application?

speicher lane 10-08-2015 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat (Post 4363713)

We just have not had the time to build any more but I have designed a new transmission for my new boat that you can run full power and full time in forward and reverse, so you could switch between spinning in or out just by flipping a switch.
They will be rated to handle 5000 hp.
(I will need them to handle over 3000 ftlbs) I will put some pics of it on here in a few weeks.

Will this work in a turbine app instead of a crash box after the gear reduction?

999JAY 10-08-2015 03:27 PM

Just a thought how is counter rotation take care of if using and Arneson straight?

BigSilverCat 10-08-2015 06:41 PM

I am using straight arneson on my boat. I was going to build a drop box and have different amounts of gears in them to get one counter rotating. For doing endurance runs and having spare parts it would be more spares I would need of everything. And if we broke a couple props and had spares but they were the wrong direction we would be stopped. By being able to run the transmission output clockwise or counter clockwise full time I can basically put one in forward and one in reverse and that solves the straight arneson problem and if we have two of the same prop I can run both clockwise and keep going. An added benefit will be that if we run 1200 miles we may have totally different sea conditions and weight at different parts of the run and we will be able to swap the props from side to side in the water and spin in or out to make the boat faster and more efficient for the conditions.

yes you could use these on a turbine.
yes they are for the diesels.