Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New Transmissions showed up! BADDD!!!!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/225024-new-transmissions-showed-up-baddd.html)

LubeJobs42 02-22-2010 07:52 PM

New Transmissions showed up! BADDD!!!!!!!

5 Attachment(s)
My new trannies showed up. They were made by Jim Lee and Tyson. The are very impressive!! Hopefully this will be the answer to getting rid of those pain in the a$$ crash boxes!! If they hold up I will be a very happy guy!

schnydo 02-22-2010 08:44 PM

Nice

dykstra 02-22-2010 08:55 PM

Way cool!!!!

JasonSmith 02-22-2010 08:59 PM

If Jim has not broken one, I think you'll be very happy.
Tyson is a smart guy too!

mike tkach 02-22-2010 09:06 PM

can you give more info,like the brand,and hp&torque ratings.the unit looks very impressive.

JasonSmith 02-22-2010 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by mike tkach (Post 3052690)
can you give more info,like the brand,and hp&torque ratings.the unit looks very impressive.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...smissions.html

BigSilverCat 02-22-2010 10:27 PM

the transmissions are Speed shift marine transmissions... it is me and Jim Lee's company...

They are not a normal marine transmission with an extra clutch or two,,,, and they are not a 1970's power glide with an adapter to make it bolt up to a marine bell housing...

these transmissions have been in the works since 2003 when I had two speed powerglides in my boat and kept breaking them.. I bought the best transmission parts money could buy (tci stright cut 12 dp Planetaries ,,,10 clutch pack,, ect..) and even with all the goodies they still broke every time I took it out.. so after several tries with them and bams I just went direct drive with the u-joint hooked directly to the crankshaft.... and you guys thought crash boxes were bad... try no neutral and no reverse... anyway.... I decided then that I wanted to build a two speed transmission for my boat so it would be usable again... and now six years later we finally have them available for purchase... there were a few years of how to fit what we wanted in the same package size as a bam so they would be a direct replacement. then we built some and put them in Jim's 46 skater a year ago.. we have made some changes to the valve bodies.... the first ones we built were fully electronic shifted with a toggle switch .... and then we built a manual shift for it... so the ones that are in jims and gino's are manual shift with your shifters from first, neutral, and reverse just like a bam, and then when you want to go to second there is a toggle switch that switches both of them at the same time..
we have tested these extensively in the 46 skater in rough seas leaving the throttle on the dash trying to break them, and so far have never broke any parts in them, there are some changes to oil passage ways and cooling passages to keep the temp down but the same internal parts are still the same ones we originally built them with...

as far as horespower rating for them.... we have ran them on our dyno with an 1800 hp engine and they did not slip... the internal parts should handle 2500 hp... but I will not be able to test that hp for a couple more months till we get my new engines done.... the good thing about every single part being made in-house is that if we do put bigger power to it and have a problem we will just make it stronger..

we have made all the different input shafts... the standard bam small spline,,,, the short crash box big spline,,,, the long crash box smaller spline...

technical specs...

first gear 1.5 to 1 good for docking and getting on plane without putting alot of low rpm load on the engine, keeps engine from dying when you are going in and out of gear...
and perfect for turbo engines that would have trouble being over proped and not being able to get on plane...

second gear is 1 to 1 when its in high gear all the internals are spinning the same direction... it basically locks the input shaft to the output shaft,, the only thing drawing power is the oil pump to put pressure on the clutch pack... so there is so little horsepower draw that we could not measure it at 6000 rpm. I would assume less then 5 hp...

reverse is 2 to 1 which is good to not have the engine die when it goes in and out of gear but props do not work well spinning backwards because they were not designed to work that way, and the prop wash hitting the back of the boat... but they work fine and if you need to backup faster you may need to rev the engine alittle.. a crash box has the same problem of being lower geared in reverse...

Length: 12"
width: 12"
height:13"
weight: 110 lbs
$12,000 each

available as electric shift or manual shift..

Tyson
417-437-0665

Raylar 02-23-2010 12:41 AM

Nice Part!

Nice work and Kudo's to all involved! They look and sound as though they are based on sound engineering practices and good internals. Hope they work out well as they will definitly make running boats like yours a lot easier to shift and give them increased efficiencies at low speeds and high speeds.
This tranny development just supports to old sayings!
1. Neccesity is the Mother of Invention
2. Nothing is impossible, it just costs more!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

BigSilverCat 02-23-2010 01:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Raylar (Post 3052819)
Nice work and Kudo's to all involved! They look and sound as though they are based on sound engineering practices and good internals. Hope they work out well as they will definitly make running boats like yours a lot easier to shift and give them increased efficiencies at low speeds and high speeds.
This tranny development just supports to old sayings!
1. Neccesity is the Mother of Invention
2. Nothing is impossible, it just costs more!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

thanks... there is alot of time and energy (and money) to get to this point. so points 1 and 2 are correct..

here is a pic of the billet cases...

c_deezy 02-23-2010 01:29 AM

Wow, very impressive to say the least.