Bumper and scuff marks on hull of boat? >

Bumper and scuff marks on hull of boat?

Notices

Bumper and scuff marks on hull of boat?

Old 02-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard the same about Magic Eraser, I was told never to use it on the gel coat due to scratching and dulling effect. Would like to know the truth but don't want to try it on my boat
Old 02-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrOffshore
I think you must be thinking of another product...Magic Eraser's are about as abrasive as a sponge...in essence, that's really all they are with a very non-abrasive cleaner built into them...they slowly deteriorate as you use them...but it's amazing what they're capable of cleaning.
Another member on here that live close to me thought the same thing. It scratched the chit out of his gel. So from personal experience I will not use it on anything on my boat but the seats seats.

Why does it say not to use on paint? Because it will scratch it.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Registered

GOOF OFF works well too.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 1,204 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by MrOffshore
I think you must be thinking of another product...Magic Eraser's are about as abrasive as a sponge...
Use that soft Magic Eraser on your skin and report back. It will you tear you apart in about 10 strokes. Don't ask how I know....
Old 02-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Registered

I work in R&D for P&G. It WILL scratch gel coat. The scratches (if you have done it), will be removed with finese it and a buffer. If that doesnt work - use 2000 grit paper and then finese-it. BTW - don't use it on vinyl either. Great for rub rails.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LPBoater
I work in R&D for P&G. It WILL scratch gel coat. The scratches (if you have done it), will be removed with finese it and a buffer. If that doesnt work - use 2000 grit paper and then finese-it. BTW - don't use it on vinyl either. Great for rub rails.
I've always been kinda leery about using it on vinyl... for really tough stains I've done it, if all else fails, but have always wondered about it wearing away at it if overused?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Registered

On vinyl, it will remove the surface finish - which is almost like a skin on the vinyl. Then stains will bind like crazy.

Your intuition is right.

LP
Old 02-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Most any surface blemishes on the gel can be handled with 3M Finess-it and a good buffer in the hands of an experienced detailer. I have used this product for way more years than I can remember and it is hard to beat. If it's a little tougher problem wet sand it and start with the 3M fast cut then move to theFiness-it.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I am sure I will be scolded for posting this. I have used lacquer thinner to easily wipe off marks like that.
You shouldn't get scolded We always try to wipe off a mark before getting serious with abrasives. Thinner also gets rid of poison ivy,zits,vd,gonorrehea,syphillis,and the neighbors dog.