Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Bumper and scuff marks on hull of boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/225104-bumper-scuff-marks-hull-boat.html)

century87 02-23-2010 08:25 PM

Bumper and scuff marks on hull of boat?

I just purchased a 87 century resorter and i have marks from years of abuse from bumpers on the hull of this boat. I have read several forums talking about rubbing compound or muriatic acid wash, but not sure what products or method is the best. I do not want to hurt the gel coat on this boat. Any advise would be great these marks are all over the boat

kjm5125 02-23-2010 08:33 PM

Don't use muratic acid. Try 3M Wax Restorer as it has a wax and rubbing compound combined. It that doesn't work, just use a good rubbing compound.

Griff 02-23-2010 09:30 PM

Muratic acid is only for removing hull staining on the bottom of the hull.
Use some 3M rubbing compound and good quality buffer. Which compund depends on how bad and how deep the scratches are.

MrOffshore 02-23-2010 10:26 PM

Try a "clay bar" you can get them just about anywhere...Autozone, WalMart, etc. If that doesn't work you might try the "Magic Eraser", you can find it anywhere like a grocery store, I think it's made by the Mr. Clean company...works great. Both of these are completely non-abrasive. Rubbing compounds are a last resort.

glassdave 02-23-2010 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by MrOffshore (Post 3053733)
Try a "clay bar" you can get them just about anywhere...Autozone, WalMart, etc. If that doesn't work you might try the "Magic Eraser", you can find it anywhere like a grocery store, I think it's made by the Mr. Clean company...works great. Both of these are completely non-abrasive. Rubbing compounds are a last resort.

+1 on the Magic Erasers they work great for this kind of thing.

BY U BOY 02-24-2010 11:15 AM

I would not use Majic eraser on the gel,it will scratch the gel. Then you have to deal with that

Brad Zastrow 02-24-2010 01:28 PM

I am sure I will be scolded for posting this. I have used lacquer thinner to easily wipe off marks like that.

MrOffshore 02-24-2010 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY (Post 3054032)
I would not use Majic eraser on the gel,it will scratch the gel. Then you have to deal with that

I think you must be thinking of another product...Magic Eraser's are about as abrasive as a sponge...in essence, that's really all they are with a very non-abrasive cleaner built into them...they slowly deteriorate as you use them...but it's amazing what they're capable of cleaning.

ndaniels 02-25-2010 12:27 AM

I've tried the Magic Eraser on gel- it will scratch it... or at least it did mine. With somthing new I always try it where it won't be seen and a small area, so no big deal. Try it in a hidden location first to see for yourself. It works great on just about everything else, though!