Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Things have gone from bad to worse, need help! >

Things have gone from bad to worse, need help!

Notices

Things have gone from bad to worse, need help!

Old 04-20-2002, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Things have gone from bad to worse, need help!

I brought my boat to a new performance marina with good reputation and refferences. It went in for gimble rings, rev limiters and tuning. One of the mechanics is a member on this board so my info will be acurate.

The problem is with the motors, 502's with prochargers. These motors ran great prior to bringing the boat in, but I did have an issue with flooding in rough water so I asked them to look into it. They did not like the way the fuel system was done so they re-plumbed, added high flow fuel filters, and adjusted the front floats, there were too high. When they were finished, and had done their water test they called me down for a test ride, as per my request. I get down there and before starting the motors I checked the oil. Port motor had water in the oil. It was determined that it was a head gasket. The gasket was replaced and I went down today for the sea trial. On my way, it is 1.5hr. ride, I get a call on my cell phone that they may have another problem and maybe I should wait to come down. With only a 1/2 hr. left I said I would finish the trip. When I got there they told me that there was oil coming out of the exhaust and blue smoke. They did a compression check and 3 cylinders were bad. 1 had 60lbs, another 25, and the other 0. The rest were at 145.

This motor was new last season and has 88 hrs. on it. The other motor is the same, 502 marine crate with 435 hp. and 180 hrs with no problems. They said the motors ran great before the head gasket blew. When they had the motor apart they also said everthing internally was good, pistons, rings, cylinder walls etc. There was no water in any of the cylinders. Then they put it back together and took it for one more sea trial before I came down and now 3 cylinders are bad. The owner left before the compression test was finished so I have not had the opportunity to discuss it with him.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might have caused this? The last sea trial they took was short and only took it up to 4000 rpm. I do not know at what rpm but the motor did stall during this run. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2002, 10:02 PM
pimpthis.com
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the head that was removed the one with the low compression problems? Did they run the engine before you arrived? How much water was in the oil. No oil change after a head gasket replacement?
Old 04-20-2002, 10:56 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Zero compression?!! Man, you'd have to leave a sparkplug out, a hung valve, or have a hole in a piston to have zero compression. I'd sure like to see a leak down test done, it could be interesting...
Old 04-20-2002, 11:13 PM
Registered

Ken...you have mail.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ken,
Last year when I sold my boat I had the same problem when it came to a compression test. All the cylinders were giving a different compression #(most were low) and I had to have the heads replaced due water reversion. Problem solved, that may/maynot be your problem, but check it out.
Good luck.
Gerard
Old 04-21-2002, 12:03 AM
Registered

mrgoodwrench,

I am assuming they replaced both head gaskets and also secured heads with studs. The oil was changed. There was less than 1 qt. of water in the oil. Yes they ran the boat before I arrived. They said it was a short ride and did not bring rpms above 4000. The low compression was 2 on starboard side and 1 port side.

As stated before engines ran great before head gaskets were replaced, and everything looked good upon visual inspection during repair.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:24 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

They may have cut corners and did not readjust the rockers when it went back together. DO NOT take it apart before a leakdown test is done. And to be safe I would loosen or remove the rockers and then do the leakdown test. 0 compression is VERY VERY hard to do.
Old 04-21-2002, 06:15 AM
Registered

I'll take "improper rocker arm adjustment" for a thousand, Alex.

Just a guess of course, but that's what it sounds like to me also.

DAVE
Old 04-21-2002, 08:47 AM
Registered

I may be wrong but I don't think the rocker arms are adjustable. If they are, could this have caused additional damage? What will the leakdown test tell me?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2002, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down

You guys are missing the true problem. REMEMBER they adjusted the front float level ( it was too high) this leaned out the motor. You will find that you have three pistons with different size holes in them - one small hole (65 psi) one bigger hole (25 psi) and one large hole (0 psi) If you keep having this shop do your work you soon will have nothing left. IF YOU HAVE HOLES IN YOUR PISTONS IT IS THEIR FAULT NOT YOURS AND THEY SHOULD PAY FOR THE TOTAL REPAIR!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Things have gone from bad to worse, need help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.