Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What's the market for a 51' OL? >

What's the market for a 51' OL?

Notices

What's the market for a 51' OL?

Old 03-07-2010, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what is it when a dealer wont even take a boat on trade or will only give 1/4 of what it's worth? It's hard to get out of big sport boats, I am getting ready to spend up to 300k on a new boat and I will be calling everything from 500k down till I get the right deal, somebody will bite. They want me to spend 500k on a boat then a year and 75 hours later it's only worth 150k on trade or they wont even take it thats BS. I want a dealer that wants to sell me a boat every 2-3 years and not loose 50-75% of what I spent. Sometimes the boats are better than when first sold due to updating and better power and it still seems nobody wants to pay. Seems like the guys that can buy a new 750k+ boat dont care what they loose but most of us do. Dealers need to step up and make 100k 10 times not 500 once. It's called customer service.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
Even in this market its still an insult.
I disagree.. its what ever the market will allow. It is a nice boat, and I like the power but Bravo's are a tough sell on a heavy boat. Nortech doesnt even offer bravo's on its 50 anymore. If I held out what I thought my boat was worth, I never would have sold it either...Bottom line... OL pricing in the good economy was overpriced..reality has changed, dealers are gone and factory pricing has now come in. The new line is impressive which means the older boats need a substancial drop in price. 300k is fair for a 5 year+ old boat.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
So what is it when a dealer wont even take a boat on trade or will only give 1/4 of what it's worth? It's hard to get out of big sport boats, I am getting ready to spend up to 300k on a new boat and I will be calling everything from 500k down till I get the right deal, somebody will bite.
I beleive that like the automotive market, any dealer is going to offer you wholesale for a trade with the hopes of tyring to sell it for retail. And in this market you don't want inventory so your trade isn't worth much just to sell another boat. They're in business to make money!

As for calling all the listed boats, regardless of price, I say it doesn't hurt. If someone gets offended it doesn't really matter.. If you're serious as a buyer and an easy deal can be made so why not make the call, any call.. I believe the only stupid question is the one not asked!

Originally Posted by Jassman
I disagree.. its what ever the market will allow. It is a nice boat, and I like the power but Bravo's are a tough sell on a heavy boat. Nortech doesnt even offer bravo's on its 50 anymore. If I held out what I thought my boat was worth, I never would have sold it either....
That's correct, it's worth only what the market will bear so I guess you have to start somewhere. However, with respect to the 50 Nortech, the 51 Epoxy OL is significantly lighter than the Nortech and as such the boat has done pretty well with Bravo's. Matter of fact, I think it's close in weight to my 36' Apache.

Last edited by Panther; 03-08-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Registered

I know they need to make money but I feel they should go more to volume not margin, it turns people off when they go back to trade and find out it's worth 20-40 % of what they paid just a couple years later so they just keep it or sell it and get out of boating. I have a few friends with that problem. If the dealer wants to be the best they need to go the extra mile, sure it's going to suck at first but as you build up customers that only buy from you because your fair and remember their name it will pay off, there are to many people that dont care if they ever sell you another boat they just want your money now for one sale. I have bought 7 boats and so far the only guy I would buy another from is Terry Sobo.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

A few years ago I saw dealerships giving good money for used boats but now I can't see how they could afford to sit on used inventory like that...they're going to get hit on both ends. A good example, LCM possibly...
Old 03-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Registered

Right now it's just a mess no matter who you are, I just hope to get back to about the way 2005 was.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

they are just numbers, why take it personal.

As for trades you have to look at the saleability of it, not everyone is going to be looking for a 51 outerlimits, if you are trading a smaller boat that has the ability to be flipped quicker, they may be prone to offer a little more on it to get the deal done. The things to remember with dealerships is they make money on finance as well. anytime someone has offered me less than I wanted i just said thanks but I cant accept that, no biggie, it's just an offer and a starting point for talking.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Any offer north of $275K would be reasonable in my opinion. Its sad, but that is what the market has come down to. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Last edited by pm203; 03-08-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

300K is called an offer not an insult, and maybe a very good starting point to get the deal done for seller and the prospect. An unbiased opinion.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Smarty
300K is called an offer not an insult, and maybe a very good starting point to get the deal done for seller and the prospect. An unbiased opinion.
I can agree with that, however no offer has been made.

Comparatively speaking I just came across an ad for a used Nortech 50V, $429k.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.