extending the strakes on the bottom of a pantera 24

Notices

extending the strakes on the bottom of a pantera 24

Old 03-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extending the strakes on the bottom of a pantera 24

good day,

I was just wondering if any one ever brought the strakes on the bottom of the pantera hull all the way back to the stern and put a notch on the bottom of the hull. I was wouldering would this make the hull a faster hull and more stable at higher speeds. I would be installing a outboard engine on this boat. Any body with experiance in this kind of hull modifacation or hull designing what would be some pro's and con's of this application.

Thanks for any help that can be given.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:43 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would call Pantera and talk to them. I am sure if some one has done it they will know. Instead of a notch I would put on a bracket to get the motors back. That way you have the longer running surface with the ability to keep the motors high. If you are planning on only running a single outboard maybe the strakes would help with top end because you will get more life. If you are going with twins then I doubt you would need to do that.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason they end the strakes early is to get the boat to posture right. Less lift at the back, requiring less positive trim to carry the bow. If the boat was never intended to lift (displace) enough to ride with that tail section out of the water, like a pad bottom, than you could also say the strakes at the end of the boat would be doing nothing.

If you are putting OBs on, I would do more than just extend the strakes.
The notch is just to help balance the boat. You probobally don't know were your balance would be after the strake mod, so you wont know if you need a notch. Remember, you can achieve the same result as a notch with more set-back.