Notices

Blowing up a Merc # 6 Drive at 105 MPH in a Cat

Old 03-07-2010, 07:47 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Blowing up a Merc # 6 Drive at 105 MPH in a Cat

Over the years a lot of people I have talked with have speculated what would happen if you blow up a Merc # 6 Drive in a Cat at speed.

Well look no further... a week before the Miami boatshow "one a them thar #6's done blowed up on me" a mile offshore of Miami heading south at about 105 MPH.

A lot of people wonder what happens when you blow up a drive in a Catamaran at speed... Essentially, nothing you turn the throttle down, put it in neutral stay on plane and go back to port at 50 MPH instead of 110... Also bring water to keep hydrated! Mind you I have heard the other "well what happens if it seizes"... my guess is with the forces involved nothing will seize the shaft would break and you would lose your prop the boat has so much kinetic energy going forward that not much will make it veer from course unless a rogue wave or Jason Priessly (whatever the f his name is) hits it!

Here is the video, I have it on my website in better definition ( http://www.limestonedev.com/mti/vide...Drive_Done.mov ) but once it is up on youtube properly just hit the highest definition on bottom left and keep an eye on the RPM of the port engine. Also bring plenty of water those cockpit boats get hot!

You might want to turn the sound down a bit!!!!

Double click the "YouTube" Icon in the lower corner for the better view.

[youtube]FaYSDK4FXj4[/youtube]

Last edited by GLH; 03-07-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the cause?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:13 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Chuck
What was the cause?
A seal let go on top of the drive and the oil drained in the belows up there...

That's what Jeremy told me... So all you people run oil in them #6's they don't fair well dry!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:23 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND
It stayed on plane with 1 motor pretty cool!
The key is not to stop.... I've never fixed anything in the middle of the ocean or a lake so I put it in neutral and go back home!!!!!

Feeling sorrow at 8 knots sucks! Coming back at 50 MPH on one mill gets you back to hit the bar a LOT faster!!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GLH
A seal let go on top of the drive and the oil drained in the belows up there...

That's what Jeremy told me... So all you people run oil in them #6's they don't fair well dry!!!
So what was the shop bill?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt Kaiser had a drive seize on his 24 skater at WOT. He got brand new motors and did not check the fluid in the drives. The one drive seized up solid with the prop still on it. He did take a very hard right into the trees. Boat got quite messed up. I would imagine that your boat is a LOT more stable in an event like that then a 24 skater.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:52 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Catmando
So what was the shop bill?
It's a work of love....
Old 03-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Registered

Bummer man...

Is the mill OK?

Frank
Just keep telling yourself: "It's only money..."

Last edited by penbroke; 03-07-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Matt Kaiser had a drive seize on his 24 skater at WOT. He got brand new motors and did not check the fluid in the drives. The one drive seized up solid with the prop still on it. He did take a very hard right into the trees. Boat got quite messed up. I would imagine that your boat is a LOT more stable in an event like that then a 24 skater.
I have blown two engs.(holes through the block) in my 28 Skater @ speed, a 2.5 modified blew when I was "cruising" @ 110 and a 300XS @ 90.In both cases the boat would PULL towards the blown side, just backed off the throttles and counter steered No Big Deal.Before that I would have my 2.5`s cut off @ 100several times, same thing ,would PULL towards shut down motor.I do think if you just "Froze Up" and did Not counter steer ,yes you would have a problem.

Last edited by offshoresteve; 03-07-2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

I cannot count the number of times I broke powerglide trannys, broke velvet drive trans, broke drop boxes, and turned driveshafts into pretzles, at well over 100 mph in a 42' cat and it never one time did anything other then start slowing down. a few times when it turned the driveshaft into a pretzle it stopped the prop instantly and when it happenes you let off on the throttle on the other one and never really noticed it turning..

the aforementioned mentioned stuff alll happened after we put twin turbos on it back in 2002. since then I have never had anything live behind the engine.. mercury will probably have a hard time figuring out how to make stuff behind there turbo engine last if they ever get one running...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.