Good alternative to $$$$$ Lifeline vests - Mustang MV4600

Notices

Good alternative to $$$$$ Lifeline vests - Mustang MV4600

Old 04-20-2002, 08:49 AM
kook

Default Good alternative to $$$$$ Lifeline vests - Mustang MV4600

Got this link from SunsationKirk on the Sunsation board:

http://www.lhrservices.com/mustang/sea_rider_vests.htm

Sure, it's no Lifeline, but for the recreational boater, these may be the ticket. For $70 it doesn't appear, on paper, too shabby. Check out the MV4600. I'm gonna pick one up.

Old 04-21-2002, 07:54 AM
Miami

Hey kook - These are floatation devices only! I am not sure weather they are Coast Guard Type one or type Two ( type two holds the head of an unconscious victim above the water and is rated for offshore ). If you are buying them for floatation devices they look cool. If you are trying to simulate the protection of a Lifeline jacket it's like comparing a 1.5hp outboard to a 900SC!

As an ex competitive waterskier, I have taken many falls in the 40 to 50 mph range. I am already on the water when these falls occur ( translated - I only fall a couple of feet in height ). On numerous occasions, the ski goes one way, my body another and the lifejacket is floating by itself ten feet away.

A boating accident has a lot more forces at work. The height, body contortions and many other factors are at work. I am not lecturing. I am merely suggesting that you should not be lulled into the notion that you are getting the protection of a Lifeline jacket. Surely, wearing a personal flotation device while boating is better than not wearing anything. If you need a Lifeline jacket, get it. It is a small price to pay for life & health.

Old 04-21-2002, 08:10 AM
kook

I never said you were getting the protection of a lifeline jacket. These vests are marketed toward the PWC user. PWC's run 70+ mph now, and I think life vest manufacturers are seeing the need for affordable high speed protection.

If you know someone who is handy with a sewing machine, you can pick up some crtoch straps and add them to these vests, for added assurance that they will not fall off of your body during an ejection.

Old 04-21-2002, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

The US coast gaurd uses mustang. There is alot of it around here (its made in Canada) The real name of the company is Mustang Survival Gear, most of their stuff is cold weather survival oriented like snowmobile suits that will make you float instead of sink if you break through the ice, they have a insulated, floating PWC suit that will allow you to fall off in 40deg water and simply get back on and continue riding, things like that. I know they have an extensive PWC line but dont think they have anything specifically geared towards Poker Runners but if they did it would be second to none...
Old 04-21-2002, 09:36 AM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't compare the Mustang ( type III $70 ) to the LifeLine Offshore Jacket. But how about the Lifeline poker run jacket,($275) if that was rated by the coast guard what type would it be? Isn't the raiting based on lbs. of buoyancy in the vest. Will the LifeLine poker run Jacket turn an unconscious boater upright?

The collar on the Mustang vest is higher than the one on the LifeLine Poker Run vest, if the only difference is the crotch strap. I agree with Kook you could have a tailor or seamstress sew some on. If you felt you needed them.

Like Miami said any PFD is better than none at all. You can't put a price on safety. If we can afford these toys we certainly can afford the best life vest available. If the only difference between the LifeLine poker run jacket and Mustang high collar vest is the straps I would look into haveing some installed. Like Kook said it's a good alternative.

Kirk
Old 04-21-2002, 02:03 PM
Registered

I would be careful about any modifications to any flotation device as I think the Coast Guard will not recognize a modified floatation device as being CG certified.

Here are the Types of Life Preservers and their uses.

Type I - Offshore life jackets for all waters; especially offshore remote waters where rescue may be delayed. This device will turn most unconsious wearers face up.

Type II - Near-shore buoyant vests for protected waters - nears shore - where fast rescue is likely. This device will turn some unconsious wearers face up.

Type III - Flotation Aids for calm, protected, inland near-shore waters where there is a better chance for fast rescue. This device WILL NOT turn unconsious wearers face up.

I always wear a Type I. I look at worse case senario. If I get knocked unconsious, I think it would be a good thing to be face up in the water.

The Coast Guard refers to the Type III's as body finders.

my .02

Last edited by NW_Jim; 04-21-2002 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2002, 08:46 PM
kook

Originally posted by KN
You can't compare the Mustang ( type III $70 ) to the LifeLine Offshore Jacket. But how about the Lifeline poker run jacket,($275) if that was rated by the coast guard what type would it be? Isn't the raiting based on lbs. of buoyancy in the vest. Will the LifeLine poker run Jacket turn an unconscious boater upright?

Kirk

If someone would tell me about how the poker run vest stacks up, as far as bouyancy and it's equivalent coast guard rating (is it at least a type II equivalent?????) I would consider it. It looks a lot less substantial (sp?) than the $450 standard vest..... The $175 difference in price seems to me to be a tip-off that the poker run vest is a far cry from the standard vest. ANyone who owns a poker run vest comment on it's bouyancy compared to a standard run-of-the-mill type III vest?

BTW, I need to purchase at least 2 vests. If it were only one, then maybe the Lifeline standard vest would be considered.

I had no intention of saying the Mustang was the equivalent of the Lifeline standard vest. But what's the reason for the high price tag on the poker run vest? PWC's run 70+ mph, and I imagine that people have had some get-offs at that speed. I know they're not wearing Lifelines.

Old 04-21-2002, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

good point kook, and remember PWC guys do LOTS of crashing.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:32 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

thats a good point to twin29 . . .they do crash alot more than us boaters . . .atleast most of us, i would hope.

oh an one other thing, somebody mentioned in this thread about sewing on straps to the vests, just a word of caution nylon webbing requires a special type of stiching and thread. i cant remember what it is called but i would have it done at a canvas shop or somthing.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:15 PM
KN
Registered

Hey Kook, I know you weren't saying the Mustang was equivalent to the Standard Offshore LifeLine vest. I just mentioned the stanard offshore vest so people wouldn't think thats what we we compareing.

I'm looking for same answers you are, how does the $70 Mustang compare to the $275 LifeLine poker run jacket? Can any one shed some light on this, any one from LifeLine on this board? Or how about SRP, I have seen them on here.

Kirk

Quick Reply: Good alternative to $$$$$ Lifeline vests - Mustang MV4600

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.