Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Supercharged Ilmors (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/226017-supercharged-ilmors.html)

JonMangual 03-10-2010 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Raylar (Post 3063999)
Before I would ever supercharge an Ilmore marine engine I would talk to the actual people at Ilmore!
They know that engine inside out and they would probably share their thoughts with respect to reliability and practicality of the possible conversion.
You know they could probably either rework your engine up to their 710-725HP level or sell you the required parts and pieces and give you more power without the supercharging.

Just a thought.

When you have a question, go to the experts!

I have tried this route but they do not have anything for the 625. They recommended buying a new 710 and they would take my 625's on trade. I was lookign for a cheaper route

JonMangual 03-10-2010 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by IlmorDonzi (Post 3064181)
What drives are you running

Teague Platinum XR's

mbccenter 03-10-2010 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3064481)
What blower do you use? Have you tried turbos?

It is a paxton. The car was built by A&C Performance out in CA. I am building a older Viper with turbos now. I have never had such reliable HP on pump gas.

ILMORdude 03-10-2010 09:38 PM

Any pics of the boostpower upgrades that are out there? Gonna take some coin to S/C for marine use.

Uncle Dave 03-10-2010 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3064479)
Alexi builds great motors from what I hear. The 1300 in his ads is the most beautiful motor I've ever seen(but I'm a chrome freak). What blower does he use for the Ilmor?

Good question Cat.

I do not know. I did not ask.

I expressed and have -0- interest in a blown version.

After f-ing with all the air pushing stuff my whole life I have standardized on very expensive Na/injected mills for personal use.

Its usually waay more expensive per HP, but Ive changed so many supercharged marine engines in my life Im done.

UD

Catmando 03-11-2010 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3064844)
Good question Cat.

I do not know. I did not ask.

I expressed and have -0- interest in a blown version.

After f-ing with all the air pushing stuff my whole life I have standardized on very expensive Na/injected mills for personal use.

Its usually waay more expensive per HP, but Ive changed so many supercharged marine engines in my life Im done.

UD

I pretty much feel the same way. My boat was n/a too. Dart has a new 765ci block. I would love to see what power it could make with a set of old school Kinsler FI stacks...

Uncle Dave 03-11-2010 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3064847)
I pretty much feel the same way. My boat was n/a too. Dart has a new 765ci block. I would love to see what power it could make with a set of old school Kinsler FI stacks...

What you are describing is pretty much the dream setup. (I lust over kinslers)

Although those tall deck blocks usually have severe valve geometry and short life, but- really honk..

UD

C_Spray 03-11-2010 06:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JonMangual (Post 3064847)
...they do not have anything for the 625...

Would they offer any ideas as to what it would take to convert your 625's to 7-10's? If was as simple as a cam change and ECM programming, it wouldn't be too bad. On the other hand, if it involves head work and a different crankshaft or something, that's a whole nother story.
Still, I can't help but think that a blower development program would have to be very expensive.

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3064847)
..Dart has a new 765ci block. I would love to see what power it could make with a set of old school Kinsler FI stacks...

Go big: Sonny Leonard 892, 2034 hp, no blower. (Can't speak for the durability in a marine application, though.)

Jassman 03-11-2010 07:27 AM

I like them stock..less failures, proven marine design, look cool.......and naturally asprated..

I will say I did talk with Wayne, the guy who bought my Nor-Tech.. The 700 Mercs he thought he had 180 hours or around there...not one problem..those are stock as well. To me trouble free boating is what it's all about..Good Luck guys.Jeff

Uncle Dave 03-11-2010 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by JonMangual (Post 3064668)
I have tried this route but they do not have anything for the 625. They recommended buying a new 710 and they would take my 625's on trade. I was lookign for a cheaper route

Is your 625 ready for a rebuild or do you just want more power. If it isnt rebuild time why f with it?

All due respect to the auto guys using this base block to build huge power in an auto app - I wouldn't try to duplicate these techniques in a marine app the duty cycles is vastly different. I would consider headwork and an cam ecu change but not forced induction without serious testing and then I would only do a mild bump say 10 ponies or so.

(ilmors are supposed to last huge hours with some guy claiming 600+ now with only fluid changes)

What was the delta ilmor quoted you?

Uncle Dave