Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Things have gone from bad to worse, need help! >

Things have gone from bad to worse, need help!

Notices

Things have gone from bad to worse, need help!

Old 04-21-2002, 11:17 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your valvetrain is stock, its not adjustable. But 0 compression usually requires a hole in a piston or a broken or badly bent valve. I'm not really buying the "we only took it to 4,000 rpm's" story. I wonder if they came off plane too fast and got some water reversion, which will break lots of cool stuff. Good Luck, I hope its something reasonably cheap!
Old 04-21-2002, 11:20 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I hadn't thought of that, I'll bet Tinkerboater is right, that scenario makes a lot of sense. Lean and boost are not words that go together. If they did burn your pistons due to their carb adjustments, they owe you a motor.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was figuring a blower motor would have roller rockers, studded heads, etc., and need adjustment every time the heads are disturbed. Lean could be a problem also. That is why a leak down test is crucial. If the air leaks past the valves it is a valve and not a piston problem, if it leaks into the crankcase it is pistons. BUT...if it doesnt leak at all then they had the valves set too tight and there may be no further damage. Mind you the last scenario is unlikely but if there is a chance the motor doesn't need to be pulled down it is well worth the time. I know it is a hike for you but you need to be intimately involved from this point forward. If the heads come off you need to get down there and see the damage-I would also advise pictures in case they don't want to do the right thing.

Keep us posted and feel free to email me direct if you need help-I do Garage liability claims for a living.
Old 04-21-2002, 01:16 PM
Registered

Thanks everyone for the help.

I think we're looking at melted pistons. Probably when they put the heads back on they did not check the timing, or set it wrong.
Old 04-21-2002, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

I will put money on the holes in the pistons. REMEMBER THE OIL IN THE EXHAUST. Leaking or not properly seated valves won't cause oil in the exhaust. The float level adjustment can make a BIG adjustment in your fuel mixture...

Last edited by Tinkerer; 04-21-2002 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2002, 02:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

That is true, but a valve guide with no valve stem in it will. Or it could have been unburned fuel from the dead cylinders-which will look black and leave a sheen.
Old 04-21-2002, 02:42 PM
Registered

Tinkerboater has a hammer, because I think he hit the nail on the head. What type of head gaskets did they use? Are the 2 low compression cylinders next to each other? Blown head gasket.
I would definitly try to be there when they pull it apart and get pictures. They may come in handy if they don't step up to plate and fix there screwup, if this indead is the problem.
I agree with IF YOU HAVE HOLES IN YOUR PISTONS IT IS THEIR FAULT NOT YOURS AND THEY SHOULD PAY FOR THE TOTAL REPAIR!!!!!!
Keep use posted! Sorry to hear about the bad news.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

If they argue with you about who will pay for the repair and that they are not at fault then pay for it with a credit card and then contest the bill. Let them take you to court. Other thing you could do is to pay for it with a check and then the first thing you do after you have the repaired boat (water tested before you write the check ) ( you just wrote the check ) run to bank before they can get there and put a hold on that check. (make sure the bank is open before writing the check) Let them take you to court. If it comes to this level you need to get us ( OSO members ) involved to make life HELL for them... GOOD LUCK STEVE W.

Probably better to use a check than credit card.
Old 04-22-2002, 04:23 AM
Blueman

I would bet Tinkerboater is right. Don't forget about other motor it is also lean. It needs to be checked.

Old 04-22-2002, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Ken you also stated the motor stalled during a run. Did the boat come off plane at that point. If so water could have rushed past the exhaust baffle and right into the engine. When the motor was restarted did it fire right up or was it hard to turn over If water was in the cylinders it would be hard to start at first. I learned this one the hard way.

Quick Reply: Things have gone from bad to worse, need help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.