Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Good small beginner boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/226271-good-small-beginner-boat.html)

jrodnj 03-14-2010 08:17 PM

That Velocity sounds nice; but is at double my spending limit. I grew up around boats but haven't owned one myself. I'd like to keep it low budget for the first one.

Something like that 22 Scarab sounds about right though. I did find a 23' Wellcraft Eclipse locally for about 6k but looked a little rough in the pics. Not sure I'm going to be ready to jump this year; just doing all my homework; hopefully can find something by end of the season or next winter

Any particular boats/brands that should just flat be avoided? Notorious for quality issues, hard to re-sell, etc...?

GregGuimond 03-14-2010 11:13 PM

22' SCARAB (FAST) - $14,995 (FRESNO)

Date: 2010-02-28, 8:31PM PST

------------------------------------------------------------------------I HAVE A '96 WELLCRAFT SCARAB 22' IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. IT IS POWERED BY A 340 HP MERCRUISER 350EFI THAT WAS PURCHASED FOR $12,000 . THE MOTOR HAS 43 HOURS AND OUT DRIVE WAS REBUILT A YEAR AGO FOR $600. THE TRAILERCENTERLINE WHEELS AND NEW TIRES . THE TRAILER HAS BEEN PAINTED RECENTLY, AND THE BOAT HAS NEW GRAPHICS THAT WERE INSTALLED A MONTH AGO. ALL THE INTERIOR IS NEW AS OF A YEAR AGO. THE MOTOR IS EQUIPED WITH A SILENT SELECT EXHAUST SYSTEM THAT LETS YOU RUN OPEN HEADERS(LOUD). THE FRONT SEATS ARE CAPTAIN SELECT SEATS FOR MORE COMFORT, BRAND NEW DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES, AND A KILLER SOUND SYSTEM. THE ONLY ISSUE WITH THE BOAT IS A SMALL CRACK IN THE WINDSHIELD THAT CAN BE REPAIRED BY PERCISION PLASTICS, I JUST NEVER GOT AROUND TO IT. ........ $14,995 OBO
.....................559-213-9451...............................

GregGuimond 03-14-2010 11:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Or even better find a rare Scarab 21 O/B

1987 21'WELLCRAFT SCARAB 225HP Johnson O/B W/Tower - $7000 (POOLER,GA)

Date: 2010-03-04, 1:31PM EST

1987 WELLCRAFT SCARAB 21' long 8'beam with cubby cabin all fiberglass hull, single outboard 1988 vro 225 johnson power tt, stainles 4 blade prop, hydrolic steering(juast changed fluid) hydrolic jackplate,power trim and tilt, starboard swim step, A folding MONSTER wakeboard tower(still new $1200),large sundeck, alot of storage areas, cabin sleeps 2 w/sliding plexi cabin door, cabin hatches, cabin lighting, has a pioneer cd pl that doesnt work but the alpine speakers do, nav lighting, paddle, anchor w/line, fiberglass decking (nonskid) snap in/out carpet, swivel helm chairs, rear bench seat w/storage, transom was reinforced with alluminum plate for strengh, the oil injection has been removed as most motors of this age should be. I mix oil with gas, I always mix extra oil(just to be safe)id rather it smoke a bit than burn up a cylinder.
The boat runs great and the steering hydrolics were just refilled so it drives like a dream, it looks awesome for its age since the interior was totally redone a few years ago with all new upholstery as you can see. Its like a sports car in the water, we always get compliments.the trailer is included in sale has new straps and new tires.All rollers and a arms were replaced a year ago. deck is solid, transom is solid, a few rubs and nicks from loading. black sticker that runs down the middle on top has also started to come off about a foot at the front. also the fuel gage isnt working.
The only reason we are selling is we have a river home that we use where the river is too small for a boat like this so if you like the ocean or riding down the river wakeboarding,kneeboardin or skiing with the family or friends , this is a gerat boat for you.
call 912-210-2030 to come look at boat, ask for shane. serious inquirers only. boat and trailer are registered in my name. Boat can be delivered to sav,pooler ect. or picked up between richmond hill and hinesville. all serious offers will be considered, So first come with money in hand is going home with a new toy. bill of sale and registration will be avalaible with all past paperwork.

GregGuimond 03-14-2010 11:36 PM

Better grab that O/B Scarab quick as they are few and far between I believe. They also had a small pad if I remember correctly. Good luck :D

phragle 03-14-2010 11:54 PM

look around for a redone nova 250, most likely twins..though you wanted a single, they would be 302's or 350's and run forever with decent milage. That hull will make you happy i it gets ugly out. It will run 50. The nova 23's may catch your eye, but its not a 24 degree bottom and will ride rougher.

jrodnj 03-15-2010 11:10 AM

There is a 250 Nova in Monmouth Beach; boat has been listed for 6 years....twins; one motor replaced 2003(ish). Motors not fully installed yet. No trailer. Boat may be a bit of a mess...if I could steal something like that and tinker all year I'd consider it....but it also could eat me alive. Part of me says just go get a 5 year old Bayliner with a 4.3 and make sure I enjoy being on the water as much as I did when I was a kid. Modern, easy to resell....just kind of ugly, not really a performance boat, lots of vinyl crap, etc...

rchevelle71 03-15-2010 01:20 PM

Spend a little more upfront, and keep it for a while. If you get something too small/old, you will get tired of it, and spend twice as much upgrading later. I agree that a 24x7(pantera, superboat etc.) will fill al of your needs and more(dont have to wait for that super nice day to hit the outside):drink:

I am going to offend a bunch of people on this thread, but late 80's and early 90's wellcraft will equal ROT, I had a 1990's 23 Wellcraft Eclipse, and a 1990's 23 Wellcraft Concept, both decent boats, but the rigging wasnt sealed up properly, both boats ended up with rotton stringers.

KSims1868 03-15-2010 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianGott (Post 3067339)
a mid 90's 22' scarab would do the trick...350/alpha goes high 50's, seats 5, low/low maintenance...some came with a thin pad in the v...now-a-days, $10ish, on a trailer....and they sound cool....V8 sounds...

Ditto this. I had a 1989 22' Scarab Excel that was perfect for my needs. Easily seats 5 adults. We had 6 in there a few times. Room for 4-5 to hide in the cuddy during a storm or something, but no more than 2-3 in there for any length of time.

Speed was great - 55-60 mph all day long. Sounded awesome with the open pipes. Very easy boat to own, handle on my own as my 1st performance boat.
Sold it last year for $9,000...and it was in excellent condition (just sun-faded paint/gel coat).

panicrev 03-15-2010 02:42 PM

how about a blue stingray?

GregGuimond 03-15-2010 02:58 PM

Consider what your are going to tow with as well. You can't just hook a 7x24 to any old tow mule, but that Velocity 22 would get you a long term value that you could tow with just about any car. True, it is a few more bucks, but like rchevelle71 said, you always spend more in the long run fiddling around with the wrong boats. Velocity holds the value nicely IMO and seem to be sought after year after year.