Notices

Salt Water Boats

Old 03-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salt Water Boats

When looking at boats that have salt water usage for purchase what are some of the things that I should be looking for as far as red flags, engine issues, ect ? This would be PRIOR to hiring a surveyor.

Thanx
Old 03-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything!

Seriously though, just like any boat, fresh or salt, it's all in the maintenance. Salt water requires more of it. You have to be super anal to keep a salt water boat looking good. And storing it high and dry indoors year round goes a long way towards that goal.

I pay dearly for that priveledge...but worth every penny. The fork lift drivers at my marina know my boat always goes to a work rack for a thorough wash down and flushing before it goes in the barn.

Last edited by Macklin; 03-14-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bert4332
When looking at boats that have salt water usage for purchase what are some of the things that I should be looking for as far as red flags, engine issues, ect ? This would be PRIOR to hiring a surveyor.

Thanx
Any inboard salt water boat without a freshwater flush system hard plumbed on board is a BIG red flag. Muffs just don't do it.

Intakes are one of your biggest issues and can be the most costly, secondary only to exhaust and reversion. I second the maintenance comment... One good look in the engine compartment will tell you whether the guy take pride in his equipment or not.

T.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled the motors out of my 12 year old boat and i live on the coast. I bought it from the original owner whom is 60 years old . As far as i know it has been used for nothing but saltwater use . Needless to say i was pleasantly surpised at the condition of everything in the bilge. Dont get me wrong , i am going to change several things out , but overall everything looked pretty good. It looks like the motors have never been out either.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MidOcean
Any inboard salt water boat without a freshwater flush system hard plumbed on board is a BIG red flag. Muffs just don't do it.

Intakes are one of your biggest issues and can be the most costly, secondary only to exhaust and reversion. I second the maintenance comment... One good look in the engine compartment will tell you whether the guy take pride in his equipment or not.

T.
Yep, I just came back to add that and close loop cooled engines are the shiznits. Love 'em.

And a good coat of wax is a must especially on transom hardware...your first place to look. Next is the bilge. A clean bilge is a good sign.

When its too rough to take my crew outside the inlet comfortably I take the opportunity to detail. I can honesty say my boat spent more time on the work rack last summer than the 20 hours it spent in the water.

Last edited by Macklin; 03-14-2010 at 10:24 AM.