Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Former Offshore racer now world's 8th richest man (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/226433-former-offshore-racer-now-worlds-8th-richest-man.html)

Ryan Beckley 03-16-2010 01:27 PM

Yes Brett it was.....

JPD Motorsports 03-16-2010 01:44 PM

Is it the same Cougar that aqua toy store has forsale?

Ron P 03-16-2010 03:30 PM

Is it also true the OPT turned down a series sponsorship from Coke or Pepsi?

T2x 03-16-2010 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P (Post 3068642)
Is it also true the OPT turned down a series sponsorship from Coke or Pepsi?

Same thing........ The sponsor is irrelevant other than that it was a worldwide company and also as baffled as the rest of us at the time. I can only surmise that this must have been quite embarassing at some pretty high levels as well.

fireguy 03-16-2010 03:57 PM

27 billion, former offshore powerboat racer, married to former playboy cover model.
I'll bet it sucks to be him!!!!!

vtec 03-16-2010 05:07 PM

Not to sound overtly negative.....

For a "sport" to be a commercial success, a TV network has to be willing to PAY big money to broadcast.

Offshore racing only minimally raises revenues of local bars/restaurants/hotels during an event.

A racing team has NEGATIVE expected earnings, so no incentive to enter sport. Then your spending all this money for no return-and other people want to "manage" the "sport".

Bottom line - nobody cares about offshore racing - because it is generally boring...... Of course there are a few exceptions (APBA race in texas where the two 46 skaters were almost trading paint -Carlos and Charlies and that other guy who was really hooked up with mercury racing).

And Poker runs are where the real racing is at

compedgemarine 03-16-2010 08:19 PM

T2x
you were not the only one shocked and dissapointed at what happened all those years ago. I was there as well and am still amazed at the ego and arrogance of some of the players. I once asked a group of these guys the same thing as they all complained that they needed more TV and more sponsor money and more prize money, etc. I stated that if thats what they wanted they were the ones keeping them from getting it by their behavior i.e. drunk in the pits, not being friendly with press and public, not wanting to do things for their sponsors, etc. when they gave me the same "its my money and my boat and I do this for fun" I asked if they behaved this way with their own business and they all got pissed off and told me I didnt know anything. maybe they are right, what did I know other than racing is still in the same boring sport for any one but the ones in the boats and no one wants to put money into it with the same old same old leadership.
sorry just the ramblings of someone who has seen it implode all too many times.
steve schmidt
PS. the old "spirit of the amazon" is up here in north georgia locked away waiting for summer and a better economy.

Jesse James 03-16-2010 10:11 PM

a friend of mine has a prize money check stroked by eike that bounced...back in the late 80's has it framed on the wall with the checker flag photo

T2x 03-17-2010 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jesse James (Post 3068963)
a friend of mine has a prize money check stroked by eike that bounced...back in the late 80's has it framed on the wall with the checker flag photo

Why would Eike sign a prize money check? He was a racer, not a race promoter....................

T2x

Maximus 03-17-2010 08:34 AM

Are any of the players involved in that particular era (Eike's offer) of "quality" decision making still involved in the sport today?