Old 03-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes Brett it was.....
Old 03-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it the same Cougar that aqua toy store has forsale?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it also true the OPT turned down a series sponsorship from Coke or Pepsi?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:40 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron P
Is it also true the OPT turned down a series sponsorship from Coke or Pepsi?

Same thing........ The sponsor is irrelevant other than that it was a worldwide company and also as baffled as the rest of us at the time. I can only surmise that this must have been quite embarassing at some pretty high levels as well.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Registered

27 billion, former offshore powerboat racer, married to former playboy cover model.
I'll bet it sucks to be him!!!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Registered

Wink

Not to sound overtly negative.....

For a "sport" to be a commercial success, a TV network has to be willing to PAY big money to broadcast.

Offshore racing only minimally raises revenues of local bars/restaurants/hotels during an event.

A racing team has NEGATIVE expected earnings, so no incentive to enter sport. Then your spending all this money for no return-and other people want to "manage" the "sport".

Bottom line - nobody cares about offshore racing - because it is generally boring...... Of course there are a few exceptions (APBA race in texas where the two 46 skaters were almost trading paint -Carlos and Charlies and that other guy who was really hooked up with mercury racing).

And Poker runs are where the real racing is at
Old 03-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts

T2x
you were not the only one shocked and dissapointed at what happened all those years ago. I was there as well and am still amazed at the ego and arrogance of some of the players. I once asked a group of these guys the same thing as they all complained that they needed more TV and more sponsor money and more prize money, etc. I stated that if thats what they wanted they were the ones keeping them from getting it by their behavior i.e. drunk in the pits, not being friendly with press and public, not wanting to do things for their sponsors, etc. when they gave me the same "its my money and my boat and I do this for fun" I asked if they behaved this way with their own business and they all got pissed off and told me I didnt know anything. maybe they are right, what did I know other than racing is still in the same boring sport for any one but the ones in the boats and no one wants to put money into it with the same old same old leadership.
sorry just the ramblings of someone who has seen it implode all too many times.
steve schmidt
PS. the old "spirit of the amazon" is up here in north georgia locked away waiting for summer and a better economy.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Banned

a friend of mine has a prize money check stroked by eike that bounced...back in the late 80's has it framed on the wall with the checker flag photo
Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse James
a friend of mine has a prize money check stroked by eike that bounced...back in the late 80's has it framed on the wall with the checker flag photo
Why would Eike sign a prize money check? He was a racer, not a race promoter....................

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 03-17-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Are any of the players involved in that particular era (Eike's offer) of "quality" decision making still involved in the sport today?

Last edited by Maximus; 03-17-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.