Notices

trouble shoot this one.

Old 04-21-2002, 03:57 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the Cat. converter? My truck had similar symptoms and the cat was blocked up. Changed it and ran like new. Just a suggestion Max.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you check the fuel pressure you will find that the in tank pump has gone away.

It won't hurt to clean the injectors, and you should. But, your symptoms are classic fuel pump.
Old 04-21-2002, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

SLYDOG -- Was it a fine spray or droplets??? If it wasn't a fine spray like paint out of a paint can then they need to be cleaned. You need the stuff that goes in the tank and use 2 to 3 times the recomended amount.
Old 04-21-2002, 04:02 PM
slydog2

waterfoul,
on my 3/4ton it has 2 converters, the rear one went out over the summer, when that happened it just had no power, right now i have power whenever it doesn't choke out.
thanks and it's good to see you have a computer at home now
seee ya
sly

Old 04-21-2002, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my first thought is the catilatic convertor as well. I have had a couple go bad over the years and they have the same symtoms as what you are experiencing. Other than if you really punch it or rev it up you (or I) would see quite a bit of black crap from the exhaust.
Old 04-21-2002, 04:27 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Hey Sly, if you can wait till Mem. Day, we'll all be there to help you fix it!!!!!!!!!

Yup, puter at home now. Don't have one at work anymore, and I HAVE to have my OSO!!!!!
Old 04-21-2002, 05:30 PM
rpm

Default sputtering

Sorry, but had the same problem in a 94 suburban for the exact reason you say, not enough fuel to sustain the load. It was a clogged fuel filter in the frame.

Old 04-21-2002, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Rpm My work truck has the pluged fuel filter problem on a 6 month basis and it never sputters it just looses power. The sputtering is usually caused by improper air / fuel mix. The TBI injection is highly efected by dirty injectors. The TBI acts just like a carb. only with better fuel control. Did your 94 have TBI or was it port injected?
Old 04-21-2002, 06:46 PM
rpm

Default troubles

It was a TBI. Doesn't take much fuel to rev without load. Not saying that its not an injector, just that most people don't even realize there is a filter in the frame or in close proximity to the tank. It looks as though he changed the filter in question so I'd do a fuel pressure check next.

Old 04-21-2002, 07:38 PM
Registered

Sometimes when a torque converter is going it will cause the engine to labor and try and engage at idle. Not what you wanted to hear but if you drop the pan and find metal you may be due for one.

Quick Reply: trouble shoot this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.