Old 03-19-2010, 02:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ilmor rocks!
Old 03-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Progress on the back side of the transom. (As the title says, this is a 725/Indy project.)

The transom casting is a VERY beefy unit; everything mounts to it. There is no inner transom shield, only a backing plate for the mounting studs. The installation pattern is an exact interchange with an NXT. The transom cutout, stud pattern, propshaft height and prop setback are identical.

On the rear, you'll notice that the bottom steering pivot pin is supported both inside and outside of the gimbal ring. This puts the pivot pin in double shear, to better handle the higher loads at the bottom. The ears in the lower corners are the forward mounting points for the integrated steering rams.

On the front side, the "Pi"-shaped casting carries intake ports on both sides for both the steering and trim. This allows the drive to be plumbed from either side, and allows simple interconnections with a minumum of fittings and connection points between drives in twin and triple installations. The transmission plugs directly into the center bore, and a pin is inserted through a clevis on the top of the transmission and through the mounting boss you see just above the bore. In plug-installations, this serves as the rear engine mount, so there are no rear engine mount alignment headaches to worry about. The entire transmission assembly seals to the transom casting, so any damage to the u-joint boot will NOT result in flooding the boat. Nice touch....
Attached Thumbnails Nothing to hide - Ilmor opens the door on my 725/Indy buildup-img00034_trrear.jpg   Nothing to hide - Ilmor opens the door on my 725/Indy buildup-img00034_trfront.jpg  

Last edited by C_Spray; 03-19-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by stainless
Ilmor rocks!
Couldn't agree more. Super nice stuff!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

More engine assembly on the port side. The power steering cooler has been added, as well as the outlet cover for the raw water pump, and the fuel filter assembly. Getting close now...
Attached Thumbnails Nothing to hide - Ilmor opens the door on my 725/Indy buildup-img00055_blockdress7.jpg  
Old 03-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

wont be long till ya chop a hole in the transom huh

you aint kiddin . . . thats one beefy transom assembly
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SDFever
Couldn't agree more. Super nice stuff!
Yeah, that block is a thing of beauty - not to mention the Indy drive! Besides, it's also CE marked...
Shame that it's too long for our boats, isn't it? Mind, not that I would consider it, at least in the short term.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
Lookin good Chuck. Have you thought about a preluber?

www.masterlube.net
Spend the extra coin on a good preluber, I had the masterlube, doesn't work all that great in a boat, plus it is built kinda chity. Check out the Canton accusump, by far the best out there...

http://www.accusump.com/

Plus it will go great with the blue engine...SWING

The first picture is of the Masterluber, not that great looking, the second is the Canton...
Attached Thumbnails Nothing to hide - Ilmor opens the door on my 725/Indy buildup-100_0423.jpg   Nothing to hide - Ilmor opens the door on my 725/Indy buildup-upgrades-over-winter-005.jpg  
Old 03-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Ilmor recommends 0w40 Mobil One, so I have no concerns about oil reaching the critical places on startup. (Nor does Ilmor.) Thanks anyway, but I'm not in the market for any add-ons to a brand-new package.

Here is the completed transom assembly. You can now see how big and how beefy the gimbal ring is. It's almost a foot in diameter. The plumbing for the steering and trim are routed quite neatly, without any bizarre-shaped hard line extensions, and the line clamps are a nice touch. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the steering and trim rams are stainless. Its nice to not have to worry about painting them.
Attached Thumbnails Nothing to hide - Ilmor opens the door on my 725/Indy buildup-transomassyback.jpg   Nothing to hide - Ilmor opens the door on my 725/Indy buildup-transomassyl.jpg  
Old 03-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
Won't be long till ya chop a hole in the transom huh?
You ain't kiddin . . . thats one beefy transom assembly
Yes on both counts. I'm looking for a couple of 3" and 4" diamond holesaws to cut through the work we did last weekend. Let's see:
  1. Three layers of 1/2" marine plywood
  2. Four layers of 7 ounce Kevlar
  3. Two layers of 5 ounce carbon fiber
  4. 13 layers of 1700 bi-axial S-glass
  5. Just enough epoxy to survive the vacuum-bagging process
  6. Two 7" by 10" carbon-encapsulated knees

THAT ought to freakin' do it....

By the way - Kudos to GlassDave for getting me through this part. His help was invaluable!
Attached Thumbnails Nothing to hide - Ilmor opens the door on my 725/Indy buildup-05032006-011-medium-.jpg   Nothing to hide - Ilmor opens the door on my 725/Indy buildup-05032006-035-medium-.jpg   Nothing to hide - Ilmor opens the door on my 725/Indy buildup-c-spray-batboat-031-medium-.jpg  

Nothing to hide - Ilmor opens the door on my 725/Indy buildup-c-spray-batboat-039-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by C_Spray; 03-20-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:55 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

the black supports are new Chuck? I'm guessing to take up some of the stress with the higher drive? Also what is the CID of the 725

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.