Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Nothing to hide - Ilmor opens the door on my 725/Indy buildup (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/226602-nothing-hide-ilmor-opens-door-my-725-indy-buildup.html)

C_Spray 03-18-2010 04:20 PM

Nothing to hide - Ilmor opens the door on my 725/Indy buildup

3 Attachment(s)
I've ordered a 725/Indy package for a repower project, and Ilmor has agreed to keep me abreast of the progress as my order is custom-built, as are all Imor engines. I think that this is a spectacular step, and shows their confidence. Needless to say, I'm sure that there will be some areas where they will not provide photos, but I'll post what they send me.

Starting on the front side of the transom, here are the engine build-up and dressing shots, starting with an unpainted long block, and adding a coat of House Of Kolor TruBlu Shimrin Pearl. You can't say that these guys don't use "the good stuff".

The third shot is of some of the accessories. I opted to have the heat exchanger painted as well. The intake top is a casting treated to a process known as "micro-polishing". The pulleys are billet aluminum and the shroud is real pre-impregnated and post cured carbon fiber. No wet layup stuff here.

cowisl 03-18-2010 04:24 PM

Great stuff

C_Spray 03-18-2010 04:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Next up, the front accessories and drives are installed. I'm not sure whose water pump Ilmor uses, but it looks like a really nice billet unit to me. This is followed by the heat exchanger mount.

The intake plenum assembly is built up, including two fly-by-wire throttle bodies. The engine is port-injected, so the fuel injectors are screwed directly into the cylinder heads, not into the intake plenum. (I LOVE how they have protected the polished surface with plastic film!)

Once the injectors and wiring harness are installed in the valley, the intake system and then the ignition coils (one per cylinder) go on.

C_Spray 03-18-2010 04:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Over it goes. Oil/transmission cooler and it's mouting bracket go on, as well as engine mounts. My installation does not permit the use of an offshore-style plate, so I have to use foot mounts. I was concerned a little bit about this until I saw Ilmor's mounts. They're really beefy parts, custom made for this application. If you look closely, you can even see the Ilmor logo on them.

Also installed at this point are the fuel pump, fuel cooling block, and starter.

The third shot shows the oil cooler bypass lines (note the cool fabric-reinforced hoses and swaged fittings). The oil filter remains in it's stock location, keeping plumbing to a minimum. Personally, I like having the filter right-side up, so I can fill it with oil when doing oil changes. In my boat, access to the filter will not be a problem.

blue thunder 03-18-2010 04:53 PM

I'm really looking forward to hearing the sound of this new rig..... as I roll past you this year :flag:

PS its all good chuck :o)

Racegirl3 03-18-2010 05:04 PM

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Catmando 03-18-2010 05:44 PM

Lookin good Chuck. :drink: Have you thought about a preluber?

www.masterlube.net

eddie 03-18-2010 09:01 PM

nice repower

Westcoast 03-18-2010 09:43 PM

What drives will you be using?