Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Lake George (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/226638-lake-george.html)

cocktails 03-21-2010 08:26 AM

Oh you mean Lake A**Holes"

Lake George, This place when in comes to Boater friendly is the worst Place in America that has water. These people up there are the biggest bunch of Asshol*s I have ever dealt with in my 25 yrs. of boating. A few years back I was trying to take my 37' Baja to Lake Asshol*s (George) for a long weekend. We had afamily Get together scheduled there. About 20 family members spending 15+K for a week at a so called resort. I just wanted to bring the Boat to take the family for some boats rides around the lake. I'll make this short it could go on forever. It took me 50 phone calls 3-4 months just to find a place willing to let me launch the boat off the trailer. I had the Chamber of Commerce and the Mayor of Lake George involved. Once I found a place, When you launched you were not allowed to tie the boat to the dock in anyway, even just for 1 minute. They said "a 37' boat would tear the docks out if the wind Picked up and could damage it"
They stated "my ropes were not allowed to even touch the dock, I had to launch and drive away". I launched the boat with me in it while my girlfriend was the expected to drive through a maze with the dually and trailer and park it up a dirt hill road with trailers everywhere and back it into a spot that would not fit a 25ft. tralier. To solve this because my lines were not allowed to touch the dock so I could go park the truck and trailer. I had to go buy gas at the gas dock and tell the attendent to pump it very slow so I could sprint back and park the trailer while my girlfriend waited with the boat. Oh by the way I got yelled at for that as well.!! Did I tell you that I pulled into Lake George at 1:30am and went to the Marina just to wait for the launch to open at 6:30am. I was going to catch a few hrs. in the truck no Big deal Right. WRONG! Mr. Policeman said I could not park there without a parking permit. Made me leave. I tried the Vacant parking lot of the supermarket, Nope he followed me there and told me can't stay there for a few hours. went into a bar, talked to the owner He let me stay in his lot for a few hrs. If I told you what it took to try and find a transient slip for 2 days. Forget it that was another 100 phone calls. I had one women tell me " We don't take kindly to you types coming up here to our Lake"

I will NEVER stay 1 minute at Lake Assho*les again not to mention spend 1 penny there. As far as Boating there they can keep there Lake. When Tourism there drops I will tell them to Drink there Holy water (the Lake) that should solve all there problems. They are right Boaters don't spend any money! Sorry for the long story I could go on forever about the rest of the issues.

TeamSaris 03-21-2010 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Scott B (Post 3071509)
Love the lake, don't get me wrong, but the hassles of boating on it make it a difficult choice to drag a boat 1500 miles to "enjoy" it. Perhaps if I was sure the leo on the lake actually had a clue as to how to do a proper sound check I might change my mind, but the one I witnessed was not done to NY standards.

And there not getting any better :( We took the same course and have the same equipment they have, 9 times out of 10 a boat they deem to loud actually passes...we call them up, bring them to our dock, and make damn sure they do it right.

TeamSaris 03-21-2010 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake (Post 3071009)
Hey John,
I know LG is a beauiful lake as far as scenery goes, but I and others think it's over regulated. Why should a resident of NYS who gets taxed for everything from toilet paper to whatever have to pay to use a body of water that's IN NYS. I had a run in with a rent a cop there many years ago who over exercised his questionable authority and never went back. The only time any of my boats have been on LG since is when your dad takes it out for a test run. I guess I'm just a stubborn old man who enjoys his FREEDOM.

BTW, I think Sacandaga is a beautiful lake also.:drink:

All very true, but Its far from a sucky lake. So we have a blower motor on the dyno ;) Ready to go faster? lol

TeamSaris 03-21-2010 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Carguy08 (Post 3071391)
That just made my night.......

Respect the Lake, the people and cops on it and you wont have a problem. Don't get drunk and drive. If you want to raise hell....... get a trailer and tow it somewhere else cause the patrol will break your balls. They may even bust your chops if your not messing around. If you cant handle some abuse it may not be the lake for you. I have a neutral stance because I have a performance boat.. but I love the peace and cleanliness of the lake.

Agreed 100%

Rattlesnake Jake 03-21-2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by fast fun 2 (Post 3071584)
All very true, but Its far from a sucky lake. So we have a blower motor on the dyno ;) Ready to go faster? lol

Always ready to go Faster.:evilb:

I may come up Tuesday with some refreshments. Need to pick Jasons brain a wee bit.

Scott B 03-21-2010 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by fast fun 2 (Post 3071581)
And there not getting any better :( We took the same course and have the same equipment they have, 9 times out of 10 a boat they deem to loud actually passes...we call them up, bring them to our dock, and make damn sure they do it right.

I may have a retest candidate for you..

Zone 5 03-21-2010 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Scott B (Post 3070901)
It is a beautiful lake, the villages around it rock, the heavy handed leo there sucks. If your a local, seems you can get away with whatever you want (Sting) but if your a tourist with cash in hand you are not welcome on the lake IMO.

Funny, they are exactly the opposite when I am on my scooter for Americade. Guess the amount of cash that event brings the village's overrides their desire to ticket tourists, though the CONSTANT speed traps where I see folks pulled for 3 over the limit are a bit annoying..

And yeah, I'll be up there again this year, most likely with the boat.. NBD, I can paddle away from shore b4 I start it up...

Americade does get away with a lot because LGV is scared of Dutcher, BUT the State Police aren't. They give out a ton of noise/helmet tickets every year, whgich is fine with me. If they want to come here, great. Just follow the state law

As John already said, King Sting is 100% legal based on current LG noise regs and has been for a long time.

As I said before, and as John said, if you want to push speed, go north of the Mother Bunch. I've seen people blast by Log Bay with 50 boats anchored there, and the LGPC nails them for it, as they should. Showing off in that part of the lake is stupid and dangerous.

The locals that live on the lake, a lot of new downstaters are a pain in the azz. I've seen them claim that a boat 3 miles off shore was too loud. Its a shame that where they live, the lake is only 1 mile wide, so I guess the boat was running on the Northway. When I ran LG, I put my mufflers on and cruised at 45. In almost 20 years, all with through hull exhaust, I was never stopped or questioned. and 10 of those years were as a tourist, so I don't think they care where you are from if they are going to stop you.

Cocktails, I'd like to know which marina you launched from. There are only a couple that can handle your size boat, dock and water depth wise, but there are a lot of boats that are that big on LG.

Like it or not, LG has strict rules, but its the cleanest/most beautiful lake I've ever been on. If you want to enjoy it on vacation, follow the rules, and you won't have issues. If you want to take a break, and run your boat WOT, head over to Sacandaga where you can do it. It too is a nice lake, and RJ will show you a great time.:drink:

Carguy08 03-21-2010 08:47 PM

Cocktails sorry for your experience....... but Lake A**holes?? I cant think of many other lake front where people are willing to pay over 1.5 mill for a knockdown house and half an acre of land.( yes right now) Something is going ok. Again it has its issues with performance boats but many families come here year in and year out and have a blast.

Zone 5 03-21-2010 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Zone 5 (Post 3072001)
Cocktails, I'd like to know which marina you launched from. There are only a couple that can handle your size boat, dock and water depth wise, but there are a lot of boats that are that big on LG.

As I reread your post, you had to be in Bolton at Norowal. I'm surprised that they let you launch as you are beyond what I've been told can launch there. But I used that Marina for up to 27' everytime I put into the lake for 20 years, with no issues. I'm sure things have changed since the town bought it.

You were right down the road from Performance (fast fun 2). I'm sure they could have told you anything you needed to know about putting your boat in the Lake.

cocktails 03-21-2010 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Zone 5 (Post 3072033)
As I reread your post, you had to be in Bolton at Norowal. I'm surprised that they let you launch as you are beyond what I've been told can launch there. But I used that Marina for up to 27' everytime I put into the lake for 20 years, with no issues. I'm sure things have changed since the town bought it.

You were right down the road from Performance (fast fun 2). I'm sure they could have told you anything you needed to know about putting your boat in the Lake.

You are correct, I was in Bolton. I only ended up there because after 3 Months of phone calls atleast 50 of them,That was my only option. I mean I could not find a single place to launch without a hassle and I have not even begun to talk about the lack of or Zero transient slips. It was just the biggest hassle I have ever had going boating. I have boated in all of the great lakes and from Ny to Fl. I have been in the Bahamas and keys all on my own boat. I have always respected boaters. In general we are some of the best people in the world especially when it comes to helping each other. The Lake George attitude was something I have never seen in the boating community anywhere in this country and beyond.