Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why does Baja get such a bad wrap from some folks? >

Why does Baja get such a bad wrap from some folks?

Notices

Why does Baja get such a bad wrap from some folks?

Old 03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure this will piss a few off, I've met more Fountain owners with attitudes than all others. That being said, my next powerboat will probably be a Fountain. So don't beat me up on this.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=redbud35;3072772]I'm sure this will piss a few off, I've met more Fountain owners with attitudes than all others. That being said, my next powerboat will probably be a Fountain. So don't beat me up on this.[/QUb
Buy the new 40 ft baja reggie is suppose to come
out with have best of both worlds !
Old 03-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree...Cigarette owners have the attitudes. But maybe thats cause I have a Fountain. Don't know for sure why.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AIR TIME
dude I am not saying its the fastest durr, just the few of boats I ran against in open water back in the 90s and they were shocked its people like you that piss me off your fountain is no better than a baja/formula/ other production boat I have climbed threw lots and seen stress cracks in all except a SUTPHEN OR OL there custom boats , well I just get pissed when guys like you talk trash there production boats and even though I have a new boat I will hang on to the 24 cause its been a good boat to me. when I bought it Ialmost bought 10 meter there were two repos in mendon mass one had 420s for 40,000 88 the other was 30,000 87 with 370s. but had talked to a guy in conn that had a 12 meter and blew both stringers running to block Island so for 20grand less in 1990 I went with the 24. whats funny they all use the same rug co for there cabins. well the next boat going by you might be DOC's old 36 its only running high 90s or may hit the century mark oh the 32 beeker is a 28 footer with less deadrise harder landings with that big pad to . enuff said.
Art da phuck...you are some thing. Why are you singling me out on this thread. There is alot more slinging going around. Sounds like you have a personal problem with me...do you want to go there?
Old 03-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

I like baja's. I owned one for 7 years and beat it up in the pacific ocean regularly. Always came home in one piece. Had to fix a couple things (bolster mounts sucked due to not being through bolted and the engine hatch wood rotted from poor dranage, two problems that are well known by baja owners). Other than that the boat was awesome and I'd own another baja any day.

Calling them the "Kia" of the boating world is a little harsh. They perform well, handle the rough well and are/were fairly priced. I've seen many other production boats have worse problems than I ever did with my baja but I won't throw anyone under the bus

I think the bottom line is, you'll be hard pressed to find someone that actually owned a Baja that will say it sucked or it was a POS. It's usually the guys that have never had one or have no experience with them that talk sh!t about them.

Last edited by thisistank; 03-22-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I worked at a Baja dealers in the 80s and they were not great boats. Cheaply built, lots of quality control issues. They are the Bayliner or Sea Ray Seville of performance boats. That is exactly how the sales guy at our shop referenced them to customers. Much fewer dollars with lower build quality. You got what you paid for he always said. They still sold.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Um not quite...

They had their issues with liners, but it was mostly the larger (read 41') boats. The liner system worked very well on the small to medium boats.

Brunswick saved Baja in the mid 90s when they purchased them, right before that Genmar had purchased Bajas debt note and really had no plans for the brand. Brunswick also improved quality, to a certain extent.

I agree that Baja offers great bang for the buck. I also have enjoyed the many conversations I have had with XT and others on this site about Baja and the boats they made in Bucyrus. Lets not go overboard with claims that Bajas are amazing though, they are a budget driven performance brand...

Back to the original question, in my opinion they get a bad rap because of the typical owners. They want to think they have the greatest go fast boat, and dont mind telling everyone. I actually witnessed a Baja owner comparing his boat to a Pantera, saying his boat was faster and better built. So to me, its not the boat that causes the negative attitude, its the owners. The same can be said for Checkmate though. I remember when Checkmate first showed their new boat made with the old Baja H2X mold. Checkmate owners were pounding their chests saying they didnt want any Baja crap, that Checks were so much better than Bajas. To me, they are both value driven performance boats, which makes the arguing between the brands that much more amusing.

Keep in mind I am not trying to make a blanket statement about ALL Baja owners, just ones I have ran into on the docks and chatted with at boat shows. As you know, with boating comes some big "personalities," regardless the brand...
We have a winner this post just summed it up exactly in my opinion and Air time proves the point. Now lets move on to more friendly topics.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
I worked at a Baja dealers in the 80s and they were not great boats. Cheaply built, lots of quality control issues. They are the Bayliner or Sea Ray Seville of performance boats. That is exactly how the sales guy at our shop referenced them to customers. Much fewer dollars with lower build quality. You got what you paid for he always said. They still sold.
That will get me going................. I am currently working on (2) 22 Donzi Classics and work on a lot of them.......... one of the reasons I like my Baja.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this thread is f/in funny! I love to listen to brand debates, and how some folks get worked up about "their" brand. All boats have good and bad points, some more good, some more bad. Baja has had some really great looking boats, and some really bad ones, but that is my personal opinion. Love some of the outlaws, 33 in particular, dont like the H2X for some reason. Used to really like the 250 sport. Quality wise I think they are typical production boats. The only reason I wouldnt buy one is I know too many people that have them, and I like to be different! Bottom line, buy what you like and enjoy, who gives a flying f about what everyone else thinks, me included. As far as attitudes, I laugh at those people, have fun and ignore the a-holes.

Last edited by hotjava66; 03-22-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Registered

Baja are a cheap great bang for the buck boat. My first was a 1997 272. Best styled boat I could buy. My first boat ever. Every thing else in that price range 25-30k looked like it was from the 80’s. My next boat was a 1993 Cris Craft 282 cruiser. My new to me boat is a 1998 36 outlaw.

I have a 12v electrical background and have to say that the Baja’s I owned are wired worse then some teen age stereo systems. Other things I noticed. When pulling the dash it looks like it was cut out by a chisel. How the hell could you sell a six figure boat like that.

Bottom line and its bin said already would I own a TG, Outer limits, etc hell yes but for now my 36 outlaw will be made over with lots of tlc and I am proud of it. It was that or a sweet jet ski.

Last edited by alexgr8; 03-22-2010 at 07:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.