Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Why does Baja get such a bad wrap from some folks? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/226807-why-does-baja-get-such-bad-wrap-some-folks.html)

alexgr8 03-22-2010 07:54 PM

Baja are a cheap great bang for the buck boat. My first was a 1997 272. Best styled boat I could buy. My first boat ever. Every thing else in that price range 25-30k looked like it was from the 80’s. My next boat was a 1993 Cris Craft 282 cruiser. My new to me boat is a 1998 36 outlaw.

I have a 12v electrical background and have to say that the Baja’s I owned are wired worse then some teen age stereo systems. Other things I noticed. When pulling the dash it looks like it was cut out by a chisel. How the hell could you sell a six figure boat like that.

Bottom line and its bin said already would I own a TG, Outer limits, etc hell yes but for now my 36 outlaw will be made over with lots of tlc and I am proud of it. It was that or a sweet jet ski.

Matt Trulio 03-22-2010 07:55 PM

I can tell you this: After 15 years of riding shotgun testing boats with Bob Teague at Powerboat, he always, and I mean always, recommend to first-time buyers that they buy a Baja. Good value for the money, predictable handling, lots of fun.

Built like a Cigarette? Not even close. But same goes for the pricing.

The departure of Baja left a void in the go-fast boat market (even though the market was in the tank when Baja disappeared). Here's to hoping the company makes a gradual, methodical and reasonable comeback.

Back4More 03-22-2010 08:51 PM

Right on!

Keith Atlanta 03-22-2010 09:07 PM

You know what, I stopped making fun of people on the water a few years ago... You know why, a boat is a depraicating asset. We are all idiots for buying them. Whenever I see some 1982 Bayliner, all I have to say to my chick is "They are on the water!" "They scraped their money together to get that barely floating craft and they love it" 99% of people either hate go fast boats or dont give a rats ass what their boat looks like anyway cause they are on the water and they are having a damn good time doing it. The guy on the 20 foot, 30 year old center console with 10 people on it HAS 10 people on it because they are having fun and probaly staring at that Baja drooling.

Its fun to debate this but when I had my Stingray 20 I wanted a Baja 272. Got a Baja 302 and wanted the 342. Got a 342 and now I want a Nor Tech. My chick wants to get pregnant so I will probaly end up with a cruiser... I am screwed no matter how I look at it. Have fun with your fast (er) boat guys....

All I think I am saying is should I run Amsoil or Merc 25-40?

wjb21ndtown 03-22-2010 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta (Post 3072976)
You know what, I stopped making fun of people on the water a few years ago... You know why, a boat is a depraicating asset. We are all idiots for buying them. Whenever I see some 1982 Bayliner, all I have to say to my chick is "They are on the water!" "They scraped their money together to get that barely floating craft and they love it" 99% of people either hate go fast boats or dont give a rats ass what their boat looks like anyway cause they are on the water and they are having a damn good time doing it. The guy on the 20 foot, 30 year old center console with 10 people on it HAS 10 people on it because they are having fun and probaly staring at that Baja drooling.

Its fun to debate this but when I had my Stingray 20 I wanted a Baja 272. Got a Baja 302 and wanted the 342. Got a 342 and now I want a Nor Tech. My chick wants to get pregnant so I will probaly end up with a cruiser... I am screwed no matter how I look at it. Have fun with your fast (er) boat guys....

All I think I am saying is should I run Amsoil or Merc 25-40?

Ha... Now that's some funny chit right there...

I got lucky... I grew up with a step-dad that had "next size up" disease. We went from 16 - 19 - 22 - 26 - 34 (cruiser, Sundancer) - 377 scarab, 42 eagle (older offshore style)

The boats weren't really much better, faster or any more practical after 34'. My first boat (and only personal boat so far) is a 32' Baja, and I love it. I don't envy anyone with a larger boat. Why would I? It doesn't really do anything more than mine does. I don't want a boat that is much bigger (though I would take a 35' fountain if someone dangled one in front of my face), and I certainly don't want to pay the gas on something much bigger.

The only thing I could ask for more out of my boat is an enclosed head for the ladies. My next boat will probably have one, and I'll likely own that boat for a long time.

Catmando 03-22-2010 09:27 PM

...I don't want a boat that is much bigger (though I would take a 35' fountain if someone dangled one in front of my face)...

You'd still be driving a 32' boat. :D

verbi69 03-22-2010 09:28 PM

Well I'll tell ya my boat can beat up your boat !!! lol..thats a joke for the ones who don't know!!
Boats are like muscle cars with too many to pick from and thats what makes it interesting!!
If I had the money and room I would have half a dozen both cars and boats.
The cool thing is you can pick something out of everyboat and wished it was put together in one package for that ultimate ride......but thats not the case...so variety is the spice of life!!
I dont care what ties up to me as long as they got their own beer...I never seem to have enough!!
Their all cool boats....when admired without biased opinions!!
My biggest issue is never the boat but always wanting to go faster....

Catmando 03-22-2010 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by verbi69 (Post 3072997)
Well I'll tell ya my boat can beat up your boat !!! lol..thats a joke for the ones who don't know!!
Boats are like muscle cars with too many to pick from and thats what makes it interesting!!
If I had the money and room I would have half a dozen both cars and boats.
The cool thing is you can pick something out of everyboat and wished it was put together in one package for that ultimate ride......but thats not the case...so variety is the spice of life!!
I dont care what ties up to me as long as they got their own beer...I never seem to have enough!!
Their all cool boats....when admired without biased opinions!!
My biggest issue is never the boat but always wanting to go faster....

Price no object what would you get cat and V?

SDFever 03-22-2010 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile (Post 3072607)
Honestly it doesn't matter what brand boat someone has. Its more important to just be out on the water and enjoying yourself. I've got buddies with 1980's bowriders, newer 18' regal open bows, etc and they have just as much fun as any of us. I can admire a nice boat but i don't get jealous. Seeing all the repoed boats on the market makes me laugh cause i paid cash for mine instead of making payments on a $200k boat. Also some of us are trailer boaters and hauling around a 44' MTI every weekend would be a pain in the ass lol

Sure wish I knew exactly "how bad" it sux to drag a 44' boat around...

:evilb:

wjb21ndtown 03-22-2010 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3072996)
...I don't want a boat that is much bigger (though I would take a 35' fountain if someone dangled one in front of my face)...

You'd still be driving a 32' boat. :D

That's kinda my point Cat... Mine is a 32' without a molded platform, the 35' isn't much bigger, but has a closed head. I think the 33' OL has one as well, but I honestly would take the 35' fountain over the 33' OL (though I do love the 33' OL).