Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why does Baja get such a bad wrap from some folks? >

Why does Baja get such a bad wrap from some folks?

Notices

Why does Baja get such a bad wrap from some folks?

Old 03-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,230 Posts

I can tell you this: After 15 years of riding shotgun testing boats with Bob Teague at Powerboat, he always, and I mean always, recommend to first-time buyers that they buy a Baja. Good value for the money, predictable handling, lots of fun.

Built like a Cigarette? Not even close. But same goes for the pricing.

The departure of Baja left a void in the go-fast boat market (even though the market was in the tank when Baja disappeared). Here's to hoping the company makes a gradual, methodical and reasonable comeback.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

You know what, I stopped making fun of people on the water a few years ago... You know why, a boat is a depraicating asset. We are all idiots for buying them. Whenever I see some 1982 Bayliner, all I have to say to my chick is "They are on the water!" "They scraped their money together to get that barely floating craft and they love it" 99% of people either hate go fast boats or dont give a rats ass what their boat looks like anyway cause they are on the water and they are having a damn good time doing it. The guy on the 20 foot, 30 year old center console with 10 people on it HAS 10 people on it because they are having fun and probaly staring at that Baja drooling.

Its fun to debate this but when I had my Stingray 20 I wanted a Baja 272. Got a Baja 302 and wanted the 342. Got a 342 and now I want a Nor Tech. My chick wants to get pregnant so I will probaly end up with a cruiser... I am screwed no matter how I look at it. Have fun with your fast (er) boat guys....

All I think I am saying is should I run Amsoil or Merc 25-40?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
You know what, I stopped making fun of people on the water a few years ago... You know why, a boat is a depraicating asset. We are all idiots for buying them. Whenever I see some 1982 Bayliner, all I have to say to my chick is "They are on the water!" "They scraped their money together to get that barely floating craft and they love it" 99% of people either hate go fast boats or dont give a rats ass what their boat looks like anyway cause they are on the water and they are having a damn good time doing it. The guy on the 20 foot, 30 year old center console with 10 people on it HAS 10 people on it because they are having fun and probaly staring at that Baja drooling.

Its fun to debate this but when I had my Stingray 20 I wanted a Baja 272. Got a Baja 302 and wanted the 342. Got a 342 and now I want a Nor Tech. My chick wants to get pregnant so I will probaly end up with a cruiser... I am screwed no matter how I look at it. Have fun with your fast (er) boat guys....

All I think I am saying is should I run Amsoil or Merc 25-40?
Ha... Now that's some funny chit right there...

I got lucky... I grew up with a step-dad that had "next size up" disease. We went from 16 - 19 - 22 - 26 - 34 (cruiser, Sundancer) - 377 scarab, 42 eagle (older offshore style)

The boats weren't really much better, faster or any more practical after 34'. My first boat (and only personal boat so far) is a 32' Baja, and I love it. I don't envy anyone with a larger boat. Why would I? It doesn't really do anything more than mine does. I don't want a boat that is much bigger (though I would take a 35' fountain if someone dangled one in front of my face), and I certainly don't want to pay the gas on something much bigger.

The only thing I could ask for more out of my boat is an enclosed head for the ladies. My next boat will probably have one, and I'll likely own that boat for a long time.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...I don't want a boat that is much bigger (though I would take a 35' fountain if someone dangled one in front of my face)...

You'd still be driving a 32' boat.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Well I'll tell ya my boat can beat up your boat !!! lol..thats a joke for the ones who don't know!!
Boats are like muscle cars with too many to pick from and thats what makes it interesting!!
If I had the money and room I would have half a dozen both cars and boats.
The cool thing is you can pick something out of everyboat and wished it was put together in one package for that ultimate ride......but thats not the case...so variety is the spice of life!!
I dont care what ties up to me as long as they got their own beer...I never seem to have enough!!
Their all cool boats....when admired without biased opinions!!
My biggest issue is never the boat but always wanting to go faster....
Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by verbi69
Well I'll tell ya my boat can beat up your boat !!! lol..thats a joke for the ones who don't know!!
Boats are like muscle cars with too many to pick from and thats what makes it interesting!!
If I had the money and room I would have half a dozen both cars and boats.
The cool thing is you can pick something out of everyboat and wished it was put together in one package for that ultimate ride......but thats not the case...so variety is the spice of life!!
I dont care what ties up to me as long as they got their own beer...I never seem to have enough!!
Their all cool boats....when admired without biased opinions!!
My biggest issue is never the boat but always wanting to go faster....
Price no object what would you get cat and V?
Old 03-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
Honestly it doesn't matter what brand boat someone has. Its more important to just be out on the water and enjoying yourself. I've got buddies with 1980's bowriders, newer 18' regal open bows, etc and they have just as much fun as any of us. I can admire a nice boat but i don't get jealous. Seeing all the repoed boats on the market makes me laugh cause i paid cash for mine instead of making payments on a $200k boat. Also some of us are trailer boaters and hauling around a 44' MTI every weekend would be a pain in the ass lol
Sure wish I knew exactly "how bad" it sux to drag a 44' boat around...

Old 03-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
...I don't want a boat that is much bigger (though I would take a 35' fountain if someone dangled one in front of my face)...

You'd still be driving a 32' boat.
That's kinda my point Cat... Mine is a 32' without a molded platform, the 35' isn't much bigger, but has a closed head. I think the 33' OL has one as well, but I honestly would take the 35' fountain over the 33' OL (though I do love the 33' OL).
Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Catmando, never had the privilege to ride in a cat but man they look so damn cool....and to throw a roost like they do...I'm getting a chubby...lol !!!!
I dont know how long the kids would tube behind it though...

I would like a cat with a cuddy though...like to overnight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.