Notices

Info on Tilt trailers

Old 03-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Info on Tilt trailers

Looking at tilt trailers for my Nor-tech. Want to know pros and cons from people that have them or have had them? Thanks
Old 03-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I have not owned one but did some research. They are very heavy and very expensive. Salt water is hard on them like any steel trailer. You will need a large truck to pull one such as a midsize. The boat will need to be dry sump engines or you will need to drain the oil each time on a wet sump. The gas tanks need to be vented to the high side. More bow eyes need to be added in the tunnel to hold the boat in place. The drives should be strapped to keep centered.
They look badazz and attract a lot of attention. You are legal width.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get the "oversize" banner and permits to the states you tow to. What truck do you have?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Registered

I am curious about the oversize laws and fees. Especially going from the midwest to loto or florida
Old 03-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

When I got my boat it was on a tilt. After a month I had to get an aluminum as well. The tilt can not be put in salt water. The bunks are so high you need to have a very long ramp with deep water to launch it. It is very heavy and you need a big truck to pulll it.

The positives are:
You don't need wide load permits. It looks very cool.

If your going to get a tilt you should probably find a flat trailer as well if you use the boat locally.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Registered

Brad pretty much summed it up.

However I know Pure Platinum's tilt trailer (and others I know of) is dunked in saltwater all the time... and the bunks arent any higher than a standard trailer, and it goes in about every normal ramp. Never any problems that I know of...

Make sure you get one that allows you to pull flat as well. Some of them dont allow for the boat to be supported properly for towing when flat. You will find that you dont want to tilt all the time... its a little more effort to get it tilted up (moving everything inside the boat to one side, extra straps, oil line valves, cant get in and out of it, ect.). Not really a big deal, but sometimes you dont want to do all that just for a short pull.

They are heavy, and the upright boat acts like a wind sail on the highway when its windy, so you'll want a stout truck to pull it.

Overall though, they look amazing! Theres really nothing that makes a statement more than a big cat pullin into the poker run up on its side! Plus no overwidth, and visibility is much better in the mirrors.

I would just make sure you do your research on which trailer you buy... some are much better than others.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Registered

I spoke to Tobin at Heritage trailers this morning about parts for my trailer (flat tow). During our talk he mentioned they are now building their steel trailers completly sealed and "charged" to make them more rust resisitent. They were currently working on a tilt one.

Sounded intriging.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My tilt has been dunked in salt many times with no problems.You have to be diligent in giving the trailer a good thourough wash down as you would do on any steel trailer.My trailer has a hydraulic ,remote operated control to raise the front up and drop the rear for shallow ramp launching or for going up or down steep driveways.
You can call Paul Lugo @ 951-206-5939 for more info .
Old 03-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Registered

Salt water is not a problem. Also it's not only about being over width as much as the boat is much more safely manuvered in tight places when it is tilted. Here is our facebook page and YouTube video on the custom trailers we build :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjRuZ1UJ0eo

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fontan...1506312?ref=ts

Paul Lugo 951 206-5939
Old 03-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by LUGOMFG
Salt water is not a problem. Also it's not only about being over width as much as the boat is much more safely manuvered in tight places when it is tilted. Here is our facebook page and YouTube video on the custom trailers we build :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjRuZ1UJ0eo

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fontan...1506312?ref=ts

Paul Lugo 951 206-5939
That is one nice setup!

Have you built one for the big boats?
46 feet 12 wide 14000#,s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.