Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How long for a motor to get built? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/227004-how-long-motor-get-built.html)

wjb21ndtown 03-24-2010 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 3074425)
A group of buddies, some pizza's and beer, and all the parts ready.......out on Sunday night (beg a favor at the machine shop)......test riding on Friday afternoon!!! (and this with all of us working day jobs!!!)

That's what I'm talkin' about... I was going to say... It should take about 8-12 hours tops to put a motor together if you have your chit together!!!

:coolcowboy:

t500hps 03-24-2010 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown (Post 3074468)
That's what I'm talkin' about... I was going to say... It should take about 8-12 hours tops to put a motor together if you have your chit together!!!

This is not a theoretical senario.....this HAPPENED july 8th to july 13th 2008. The motor in question had to be pulled out of the boat Sunday evening because of a perceived problem. Had virtually nothing wrong with it but went back in as a 515 instead of a 502.

mikes280 03-24-2010 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sick Stinger (Post 3074369)
Im just asking in a round about time give or take the usual. Alot of guys have been getting yaned 3-4 months seriously?
-Mike

there is always to sides to the story. I have got one here that the machine work is done and i have had it for almost 1 year. The owner is a little tight right now so it is bagged on the stand. It is not a problem cause he was up front with me and he owes me nothing at this point. But i have seen people complain about the builder when the ball was in their court.

mikes280 03-24-2010 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown (Post 3074468)

you have never built a motor i take it .

i can bolt the parts together that fast but i want stand beside it when it is running, i have spent that much time on just the rings and bearings not to say how long it takes to set up the valve train. building a motor and freshen one up is to different things

wjb21ndtown 03-24-2010 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by mikes280 (Post 3074529)
you have never built a motor i take it .

i can bolt the parts together that fast but i want stand beside it when it is running, i have spent that much time on just the rings and bearings not to say how long it takes to set up the valve train. building a motor and freshen one up is to different things

We picked up my buddy's block from the machine shop at 4:30 pm, we were taring up the streets later that night (sometime in the early am). Rings, valve train, and tuning the carbs is where most of the time was spent. I honestly think that the carb was the biggest issue. The motor went two racing seasons, and ran strong (high 9's) until he sold the car.

My friend Dan owns a machine shop... you can get things done in a hurry when you have 2-3 sets of hands that know what they're doing.

That was just a street race motor. I would definitely take more time to build something for a marine application. That said, we were in the car and running, not just built... I don't see why a couple of guys couldn't assemble a motor in 12 hours, even with the utmost diligence.

wjb21ndtown 03-24-2010 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 3074476)
This is not a theoretical senario.....this HAPPENED july 8th to july 13th 2008. The motor in question had to be pulled out of the boat Sunday evening because of a perceived problem. Had virtually nothing wrong with it but went back in as a 515 instead of a 502.

I wasn't doubting you. I have a friend that is so impatient that he HAS to drive something when he finally gets all of his parts. I can't believe he's never blown anything up during the first couple of hours of run time. Once he gets that last piece of the puzzle it WILL run later that day, and I don't mean on a stand.

I can't do it... I don't have the nerve. I'd rather sleep on it and double check everything in the morning, when I can think straight.

302Sport 03-24-2010 10:40 PM

i have a bunch of buddies that have thrown rods, burned pistons, broken valve springs, spun bearings, you name it and they have the motor out that night, to the machine shop monday morning, all the parts overnighted, and are back together running by the next saturday........

Mastercraft240 03-24-2010 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by BBILL1174 (Post 3074314)
He has been doing mine in about 3 weeks.We actually send him all our restoration motors & as long as your checks are good he fly's through the work

Exactly. I cant imagine getting yanked around for 3-4 months. From bring the boat in to deciding on the final power numbers, total time was probably 4 weeks. 3 weeks once we decided everything. Did I mention I paid almost EXACTLY what i was quoted the first time I walked in? He didnt even have the engine apart. Either way, I'm not much of an engine guy but I'd have to imagine building a marine application motor is slightly more complicated than a street racing motor? I could be wrong:lolhit:. But to get a locked in quote and time line that's actually delivered upon is few and far between. You don't find much straight shooters in the marine industry these days....
Thanks JC!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiRlhU6BSuI

whoya 03-24-2010 10:53 PM

I dropped off mine in early november and they are just finishing the machining this week, hopefully and I I paid in advance.
Im not a happy camper.

wjb21ndtown 03-24-2010 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by whoya (Post 3074557)
I dropped off mine in early november and they are just finishing the machining this week, hopefully and I I paid in advance.
Im not a happy camper.

That was your first mistake!

Never pay in advance and never say "I'm not in a hurry."