Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How long for a motor to get built? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/227004-how-long-motor-get-built.html)

Scarab Billy 03-25-2010 05:17 PM

I always paid for the parts in advance..and try to get the guy to do the motor in 1 motion...it is very tough to bounce back and fourth between projects on stands and pick up your train of though when you get back to it. I have done that myself

mikes280 03-25-2010 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown (Post 3074543)
We picked up my buddy's block from the machine shop at 4:30 pm, we were taring up the streets later that night (sometime in the early am). Rings, valve train, and tuning the carbs is where most of the time was spent. I honestly think that the carb was the biggest issue. The motor went two racing seasons, and ran strong (high 9's) until he sold the car.

My friend Dan owns a machine shop... you can get things done in a hurry when you have 2-3 sets of hands that know what they're doing.

That was just a street race motor. I would definitely take more time to build something for a marine application. That said, we were in the car and running, not just built... I don't see why a couple of guys couldn't assemble a motor in 12 hours, even with the utmost diligence.

again not building a motor for the first time ,you were rebuilding the motor so pushrod length was done everything had been fitted before so no where as much work. I have done fuel motors in 2 hours also but that is not the same thing. also i never trust a machine shop i check everything as all good engine builder do i am not going to assume that they have bearing clearance where i want it i am going to check. hell i have seen it take hrs just to degree a cam and get it right, big difference in just bolting it together

TomFTM 03-26-2010 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by mikes280 (Post 3074947)
again not building a motor for the first time ,you were rebuilding the motor so pushrod length was done everything had been fitted before so no where as much work. I have done fuel motors in 2 hours also but that is not the same thing. also i never trust a machine shop i check everything as all good engine builder do i am not going to assume that they have bearing clearance where i want it i am going to check. hell i have seen it take hrs just to degree a cam and get it right, big difference in just bolting it together

agreed.

Sick Stinger 03-26-2010 11:49 AM

So mike what do you say? Lets assume the engine was together but had a few mods done so mostly the same but a few changes.
-Mike

mikes280 03-26-2010 07:39 PM

depending on when you take it to them if you want a motor in the next 2 months good luck so does everyone else plus not only are the machine shops dealing with there normal work but they most likely have drag race guys trying to get there work done. so 3 weeks would be good if all the parts are there. Oh and for what it worth i started a noon today and i installed piston on rods ,cut and fitted rings and got the main bearings measured on a 496 stroker not a merc. i stopped at 6.15 and crank is not in motor yet so i guess i am slow but that was about 6 hrs and nothing is bolted together yet. oh and i am going to need some hx mains motor is to tight . Good thing i checked behind the machine shop.