Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How long for a motor to get built? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/227004-how-long-motor-get-built.html)

Sick Stinger 03-24-2010 05:02 PM

How long for a motor to get built?

Ive be hearing alot that it taked way to long for an engine to get build. Whats turn around on one. Im talking just an N/A engine build nothing crazy.
-Mike

Uncle Dave 03-24-2010 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sick Stinger (Post 3074260)
Ive be hearing alot that it taked way to long for an engine to get build. Whats turn around on one. Im talking just an N/A engine build nothing crazy.
-Mike

How long is a piece of string?

Completely depends on your choice of parts their availability, the way you choose to pay, and the availability of machinists.

A good rule of thumb is 8 weeks

Depending on the builders "busy season" it could take 3 months.

Most guys send the money late, dont set or fix a budget, try to supply their own parts etc all this ADDS time.

UD

bajabob 03-24-2010 05:13 PM

well my engine guy did mine in 3weeks and dyno it i was very happy with the work

Mastercraft240 03-24-2010 05:18 PM

JC Performance did mine in three weeks as well, awesome guy to deal with....

Uncle Dave 03-24-2010 05:36 PM

Sure it can happen quickly and the work itself may take 3 weeks.

Many guys have a shortblock and parts ready, and you can have it in a week.

When do you start the clock?

When all the parts arrive? From the day you send the check?

The closer you get to boating season the "known guys" start to get busy.

It all depends.

UD

302Sport 03-24-2010 05:53 PM

how about hours wise??? forget parts, just machine work and assembly????

BBILL1174 03-24-2010 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by mastercraft240 (Post 3074270)
JC Performance did mine in three weeks as well, awesome guy to deal with....

He has been doing mine in about 3 weeks.We actually send him all our restoration motors & as long as your checks are good he fly's through the work

Sick Stinger 03-24-2010 07:28 PM

Im just asking in a round about time give or take the usual. Alot of guys have been getting yaned 3-4 months seriously?
-Mike

bajabob 03-24-2010 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sick Stinger (Post 3074369)
Im just asking in a round about time give or take the usual. Alot of guys have been getting yaned 3-4 months seriously?
-Mike

ya that all in who you go with:eek: i no two guys took there motor to this guy and it took all winter:bsflag: thats wrong . i think maybe 2month at the most and i am being nice about it .my buddys did not get there motor till 8 months. they told me never again

t500hps 03-24-2010 08:27 PM

A group of buddies, some pizza's and beer, and all the parts ready.......out on Sunday night (beg a favor at the machine shop)......test riding on Friday afternoon!!! (and this with all of us working day jobs!!!)