Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boss (marine) Audio (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/227104-boss-marine-audio.html)

Sydwayz 03-27-2010 11:39 AM

Thanks everyone. I got some info from BoatsUnlimited who is a member here and dealer for Boss Audio.

He said 1 in 10 head units is bad right out of the box, and a second one in 10 goes bad w/i the first year.

That's only 80% success rate for the first year alone.

I am still going to do some looking. This is for my Mini-Hawk which has a thin dash and is exposed front and back.

I'll figure something out.

Griff 03-27-2010 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 3075932)
Like what? Wanna know!

Clarion, Alpine, Kenwood and many more.

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 3076072)
Sooooo......"marine grade" isn't needed on a boat?

If mounted in the cabin, then I would say no. If mine was in the cockpit, I would have a Clarion 100% waterproof unit. I have a clarion marine head unit in my cabin. It is not the waterproof version. I used it so I could use their waterproof wired remote on the dash. It also has a handheld remote.

Audiofn 03-27-2010 08:36 PM

Nort I agree with what Griff and others are saying. No need if it is going to stay dry. Were it is in your Formula no need. The nice thing about some of the marine stuff is the wired remote. If you want that some manufacturers do require going Marine. I like the new Alpine stuff for head units.

BowenCT 03-27-2010 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 3076375)
The nice thing about some of the marine stuff is the wired remote.

The new marine remote keypads from Alpine are wireless, transmit via RF, so you can slap them anywhere in your boat that your heart desires.......stern, passenger side, driver, cabin, etc. Real slick.

jonyb 03-28-2010 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by BowenCT (Post 3076397)
The new marine remote keypads from Alpine are wireless, transmit via RF, so you can slap them anywhere in your boat that your heart desires.......stern, passenger side, driver, cabin, etc. Real slick.

They still need ignition power and ground, so not totally wireless.

Apathetic 03-28-2010 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by jonyb (Post 3076079)
It depends on where the equipment is located. If you're sure that you'll never get the head unit wet or exposed to moisture, you'll be okay with standard car audio. In my last Baja, I just used a normal Alpine head unit with a billet enclosure from xaudiocovers and never had a problem. I had been caught out in a storm but had the passenger keep the face covered with a towel. For speakers, I do suggest marine grade due to sunlight, heat, and possibly moisture. Amps, if they're in a cabin, being marine grade is pointless, but won't hurt. In the end, you're not totally limited to marine-grade equipment, but it really depends on what piece it is and where it will be.

What about those of us in salt water? Then should we be more concerned with marine amps due to salt air? That's always been my concern here where I live.

Thanks in advance.

jonyb 03-29-2010 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Apathetic (Post 3076707)
What about those of us in salt water? Then should we be more concerned with marine amps due to salt air? That's always been my concern here where I live.

Thanks in advance.

I would probably stick with marine stuff for that matter.

Audiofn 03-29-2010 06:24 AM

IMO if you go with any quality amp then you are OK. The only difference between Marine and non marine amps is that they dip the boards in resin to try to seal them up. Good quality amps are ussually dipped anyhow or have high quality parts in them that do not make this 100% necassary. I have rarely seen an amp go bad from corrosion. It is ussually from heat.

Anarchy Powerboats 03-29-2010 10:57 AM

Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine, Alpine.

Can You Hear Me Now?

Apathetic 03-29-2010 03:37 PM

Thanks guys. My amps are Alpines that I removed from a former car and was considering using them for the boat system but I live basically right on the Rappahannock where it empties into the bay so saltwater/salt air is a major concern (everything rusts around here).