Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boss (marine) Audio (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/227104-boss-marine-audio.html)

jonyb 03-29-2010 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 3077058)
IMO if you go with any quality amp then you are OK. The only difference between Marine and non marine amps is that they dip the boards in resin to try to seal them up. Good quality amps are ussually dipped anyhow or have high quality parts in them that do not make this 100% necassary. I have rarely seen an amp go bad from corrosion. It is ussually from heat.

I'm not gonna disagree with you, but I've got an MTX amp screwed to the wall in my shop that shows what happens when they get wet. This may not apply since you said "quality amps" :lolhit:

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING (Post 3077205)

Can You Hear Me Now?

Then I let the Alpine play.....

Originally Posted by Apathetic (Post 3077402)
Thanks guys. My amps are Alpines that I removed from a former car and was considering using them for the boat system but I live basically right on the Rappahannock where it empties into the bay so saltwater/salt air is a major concern (everything rusts around here).

Put them in the cabin, inside a panel, where they're not exposed to the elements.

neva satisfied 03-29-2010 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by jonyb (Post 3077554)
I'm not gonna disagree with you, but I've got an MTX amp screwed to the wall in my shop that shows what happens when they get wet. This may not apply since you said "quality amps" :lolhit:

Then I let the Alpine play.....

Put them in the cabin, inside a panel, where they're not exposed to the elements.

How are you supposed to ground the amp if it is in the cabin? The last amp I installed (Kicker 700.5) wanted a ground wire that was no longer than 24"

boating37 03-29-2010 08:32 PM

I'll let you know how my new system sounds this week,it
is a clarion system hope it sounds good.I know they make a good head unit and amps, just hope the speakers and subs last more then a year or two.

PhantomChaos 03-29-2010 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by neva satisfied (Post 3077608)
How are you supposed to ground the amp if it is in the cabin? The last amp I installed (Kicker 700.5) wanted a ground wire that was no longer than 24"

It's all about the gauge. Run a 1" copper pipe up there. :D

Anarchy Powerboats 03-29-2010 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 3077726)
It's all about the GIRTH. Run a 1" copper pipe up there. :D

:eek:

Apathetic 03-29-2010 10:23 PM

Thank you jonyb I appreciate the chance to learn from you.

I guess I could install them in the storage space under the sink since we don't use that sink anyway.

jonyb 03-29-2010 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by neva satisfied (Post 3077608)

Not much of a choice in a boat. You can make 2 runs to the battery. Both need to be at least 4 gauge if it's a single amps, 1/0 if it's 2 or more.

You're welcome Apathetic :coolcowboy: