Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
NYC Offshore/Go-Fast Insight... >

NYC Offshore/Go-Fast Insight...

Notices

NYC Offshore/Go-Fast Insight...

Old 03-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you run inside all along the south shore of LI Which inlets, if any are no problem? Where is the nautical mile Thanks
Parnell
Old 03-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I would not try running the inside all along the south shore of LI inside unless you are very familiar with it.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

In the regional section feel free to check out Norther NJ Spots thread.
Wherer will you be living when you move here?

Any questions feel free to PM me a message.

Frank
Old 03-27-2010, 08:37 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty
Can you run inside all along the south shore of LI Which inlets, if any are no problem? Where is the nautical mile Thanks
Parnell
I agree with Tom. You can run the inside all the way out east, but its real damgerous. Its a pretty easy run up to Fire Island, but after that it gets tricky. Nautical mile is located in Freeport on the west side of Woodcleft Canal..

Maybe this will help

http://nauticalmilemap.com/map.cfm
Old 03-27-2010, 09:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Vinny P
I agree with Tom. You can run the inside all the way out east, but its real damgerous. Its a pretty easy run up to Fire Island, but after that it gets tricky. Nautical mile is located in Freeport on the west side of Woodcleft Canal..

Maybe this will help

http://nauticalmilemap.com/map.cfm
Very true!! If you have a nice size boat I would run offshore.... much easier. You can usually get by going inside the inlet on the weekends if you take it slow and follow the traffic. I think the nautical mile and patty's is gonna get pretty busy if people don't go to fire island. I just find it hard to swallow that $25 docking fee and $21.99 buffet at patty's
Old 03-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Registered

So I assume the inside does not have channel markers?
Old 03-28-2010, 05:32 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty
So I assume the inside does not have channel markers?
Yes there are markers. However, in many spots, if you stray off just a bit, you are in the mud. I dont know about other parts of the country but there, you will see people walking across this huge bay area, pulling there boats along ( usually smaller outboard boats ) while digging up clams.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Has anything about the great south bay changed since 2007? I can see how the inlet could be treacherous but once I got thru the inlet, followed the channels to the bay, it was pretty wide open from there and all the way out to Patchogue. Over the eyars I've found the inside, west of FI to Jones to be the trickier area.

I really like making runs from here (Sandy Hook) to Jones (Nautical Mi.). It's roughly 35 minutes on the ocean at 60 mph from the tip of Sandy Hook....

also, from where I live, NY harbor is 20 minutes across the bay, from there I can head up the Hudson (Haverstraw) our out East to LI Sound (Sand Hole)!!

The other advantage of where I live (Sandy Hook) is I can also head south to the Barnegat or Pt. Pleasant area whichs opens up a totally different boating perspective...

As far as living goes, I'm less than an hour to NYC by train (express) and 35 minutes from lower manhattan via the ferry.

My local area is nice to boat around as well, we have Sandy Hook bay and the two rivers (Navesink and Shrewsbury) when there's nothing to do but I like to travel with my boat instead of racing up/down the river or bay so our location is pretty good for me.

Frank
Old 03-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Registered

I've heard there is a pretty good boat scene on Fire Island- bars and restaurants you can pull the boat right up to. That is something we miss in LI Sound vs. say South Florida. I was gonna try to make a run to Fire Island this summer.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Registered

Plenty of good spots for it!! The last one I remember being around Long Beach/Freeport was around 9 years ago (I was 12). It's what got me into high perf boats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.