NYC Offshore/Go-Fast Insight...

Notices

NYC Offshore/Go-Fast Insight...

Old 03-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NYC Offshore/Go-Fast Insight...

Hey there guys,

I may be relocating to NYC for business in a couple of weeks...Can you give me a little insight into the go-fast/offshore scene???? Where do you guys run to, eat and hang out??? Where are the good waterfront restaurants and recommended marinas...Thanks much,

Divenstar
Old 03-27-2010, 01:32 AM
Registered

The boat basin is a good place. Chelsea Peirs is a quarter mile from there and it gets pretty freakin' rough over there. If you in NYC and you want to go for a nice ocean ride you can head to Patty Mcgee's in Long Beach. Its a nice 30-45 minute cruise at at 75mph. You could just as easily head to freeport ( The Nautical Mile ) for an over night stay on the boat. Slips are very protected and its a very good party scene on the weekends. Fire Island is always a nice run through the state channel. In your case you would go past long beach, past jones inlet by around 30 minutes and connect to the state channel. Fire island will be only a few minutes from there. That'd be around a 2 hour ride ( 90% offshore ). NJ is not far away either although not sure of the spots.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:22 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I second what Mastercraft said. I would like to add if you find yourself looking for a safe place to keep your boat for a night, weekend, or whatever, keep Al Grovers in Freeport in mind. I have been there for many years with onloy good things to say. The best part is that they offer high and dry service. 10 minute run from the ocean and 10 minutes from Nautical mile Hot Spots. Depending on the ocean conditions, 45 minutes from Manhattan.

Mastercraft,
What are your thoughts on Fire Island inlet this year? My thoughts are to avoid it like the plague. After all the storms we had this winter that caused all the beach erosion, my fears are that inlet will be even more narrow than it was, rendering it almost impassable except at a high tide.

Last edited by Vinny P; 03-27-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Vinny P
I second what Mastercraft said. I would like to add if you find yourself looking for a safe place to keep your boat for a night, weekend, or whatever, keep Al Grovers in Freeport in mind. I have been there for many years with onloy good things to say. The best part is that they offer high and dry service. 10 minute run from the ocean and 10 minutes from Nautical mile Hot Spots. Depending on the ocean conditions, 45 minutes from Manhattan.

Mastercraft,
What are your thoughts on Fire Island inlet this year? My thoughts are to avoid it like the plague. After all the storms we had this winter that caused all the beach erosion, my fears are that inlet will be even more narrow than it was, rendering it almost impassable except at a high tide.
I usually try to avoid fire island either way, though when I do go the boat usually gets a lot of attention. I'm not that familiar with the inlet their to begin ( its usually a guess and check with me ), so I don't see myself going there without some serious assistance. If I'm feeling balzy I might throw on a spare prop and head out, I cant see myself risking my BBlades labbed 30. One thing you can't underestimate about fire island is that EVERYONE finds the way to the good party, so if there's a dependable viable path..... we'll find it!!
Old 03-27-2010, 02:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the above or contact The New Jersey Performance Powerboat Club, www.njppc.com . Great bunch of people.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Liberty landing , And the Hudson River is a great run going north. Post when you want to go out and we will show you around.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Vinny P

Mastercraft,

Vinny- my neighbors went out last week and told me at low tide, its pretty tough through the inlet now, fish boat captains out of captree were grounding coming through last season. The sandbar near demo point/sore thumb definitly shifted. Its definitly navigable, not as tough as moriches, but definitly proceed with some caution, especially at low tide.....there was a serious accident at end of last season I believe, guy coming through at night, hit a sandbar. Local movement among residents to petition for dredging...if that is any indication

Last edited by elvisali; 03-27-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:32 PM
Registered

And all above recommended are correct. I live in NYC but boat on LI, I would recommend keeping the boat on LI, plenty of good marinas in Freeport and Babylon (I hear only good things about MRD/anchorage http://www.mrdmotorsports.com/slips_and_storage.html)

Good luck
Old 03-27-2010, 03:08 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You can also run up the E River to the LI Sound.
plenty of good spots along both LI and the CT side all the way out to Greenport, Block Island and the sort.
Where are you thinking of living.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:05 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Guys,

Thanks for the the thoughts on Fire Island inlet. I dont see me going through it any time soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.