Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best life jacket for 9mo-12month old? >

Best life jacket for 9mo-12month old?

Notices

Best life jacket for 9mo-12month old?

Old 03-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best life jacket for 9mo-12month old?

My son is 9 months now but is in 12 month gear usually. We would like to take him out on short cruises and evening sun sets with us. Last year we only got to take him out once when he was like a month old. It was a warm evening and grandparents and all went. I want to buy him the bets life jacket possible. Absolutely don't care about the cost just want to know he is safe. Can anyone suggest something for children this small?
Old 03-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I originally wanted to get my daughter the Mustang life vest because it has the most flotation but she was in-between sizes so I got her the SeaFit and it seems to work just fine... This past summer was our second season with it. She's 2 1/2 yrs old now so 2 summers ago she was about the same age as yours.

When I'm rafted off I swim with her in the vest and it provides good flotation.. The mustang, if he fits, has a bit more flotation.
Attached Thumbnails Best life jacket for 9mo-12month old?-ash-i-2009.jpg  
Old 03-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You definately want to try it on him. Last year i bought the most expensive/best one i could find for my son. When i put it on him, it was so bulky/thick that he was not comfortable at all in it. He looked like a cartoon character that inflated an airline vest around his neck. The sizes goes by weight, I believe infant is up to 30 lbs. A friend of mine found a neoprene (sp?) one at target for his little girl. It wasn't as bulky, i think is was o'brian brand? Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAY
You definately want to try it on him. Last year i bought the most expensive/best one i could find for my son. When i put it on him, it was so bulky/thick that he was not comfortable at all in it. He looked like a cartoon character that inflated an airline vest around his neck. The sizes goes by weight, I believe infant is up to 30 lbs. A friend of mine found a neoprene (sp?) one at target for his little girl. It wasn't as bulky, i think is was o'brian brand? Hope this helps.
That's the exact same problem we had with the mustang vest... Fortunately we were warned up-front by some other boater friends and took her to the store with us and tried on a few different vests until we found the best one that was most comfortable for her!!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Registered

We got the Mustang Lil' Legends infant model for our 6-mo old last summer. It seemed the best made out of all the ones I looked at. It fit him ok but he didn't like it much. Babies that age would usually rather just cuddle with mommy. I did carefully put him in the water and it did the job, keeping his head turned upright.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've used Mustangs for all my kids including my youngest who is one in April. Like mentioned b4, they are bulky, but it's so hard to fit the little guys or girls when they are so small.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Registered

Mustang Lil' legends is the best infant life jacket.
Both my son and daughter used it; my son at 8 months old and my daughter at 5months old.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:49 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

We bought my son a Revere Lifejacket - I found the material way softer and it wasn't too bulky for him to more around in.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have gone thru a good handful of life jackets for my kids. I usually bought them at sports supply stores and what not. One problem I kept running into is the color would always bleed off of them when they get wet. Keep it simple with colors otherwise you will be wiping out the kids clothes and staining your upholstery.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by specialk
I have gone thru a good handful of life jackets for my kids. I usually bought them at sports supply stores and what not. One problem I kept running into is the color would always bleed off of them when they get wet. Keep it simple with colors otherwise you will be wiping out the kids clothes and staining your upholstery.
Never considered this.....thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.