Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anyone elses F250 or similar ride extremely bad? >

Anyone elses F250 or similar ride extremely bad?

Notices

Anyone elses F250 or similar ride extremely bad?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I have a 2006 Harley Edition, I bought it used with about 15000 miles on it, the original owner had Air Bags on the back as well. It Tows awesome, I have 2 Boats a 22 Classic Donzi and a 28 Pantera. I towed over 12,000 miles with it last year and it rode like a Cadillac.

Great little Truck, all stock Tires, PSD and a nice package for what we have. I get around 14mpg to 16mpg on the flats and closer to 12 to 13 on more varied terrain. Without towing I can get closer to high teens over all, which is impressive.

When I am running all empty, the springs on a bumpy road can be a bit bouncy, but I guess I expect that in a 250 that is not underload?

I love ours and would consider another, I have friends with DuraMax and Cummins, and all of them are nice, I just love Trucks and their many options. The longer wheel base 4 Doors Crew Cabs will always ride a little better than their shorter brethren.

Good Luck

Danny
Old 03-30-2010, 06:42 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

The problem is not the truck but most likely the set-up. How much weight are you towing? Two wheel or three wheel trailer? What's your tongue weight? What other junk are you hauling around in the bed while towing? Your tire pressure should be high if you're towing a boat of any weight. Short bed or long bed, crew or regular cab?

My 250 pulled my 33" PowerPlay well, no issues at all.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:02 AM
VIP Member

Get new shocks on all 4 corners-- I recommend KYB Monomax. Lifetime warranty and low cost, high performance.

Also you are pulling alot of weight. If you want that truck to tow without bucking, you need to install airbags on the rear. Fill em up when you need it and you will be very very happy with the ride.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Shocks was my first consideration since the ride is not great towing or not towing. We are headed on a 7 hour trip to the ozarks next month and I just don't want to be pulverized like that the whole way.

P.S. Yes I know the Haydens. Good kids. I run a racing fuel company so we have done some business together over the years, and they are all about my age.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by kyboy1020
Shocks was my first consideration since the ride is not great towing or not towing. We are headed on a 7 hour trip to the ozarks next month and I just don't want to be pulverized like that the whole way.

P.S. Yes I know the Haydens. Good kids. I run a racing fuel company so we have done some business together over the years, and they are all about my age.
Well make sure your truck has good shocks and nothing is worn out, I cant tell what trailer you have in the pic. but I had a 42 Sonic on a Rocket trailer and they suck and tow like crap.

I am an X road racer and still in the motorcycle biz and have hung out with them a few times at Daytona. Thats why I asked.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 99, 04 & 08 f-250. All but the 04 were 4 door, 4 wheel drive, FX4 packaged trucks. The 04 rode the worst. It was a extended cab longbed 4x4 (FX4).
I found that lowering the tire pressure to 40 psi from the factory recommended 80 psi was a big help especially when empty. Then towing I liked about 60 in the rear unless I was WAY heavy then I'd go to 80. I also put Pro-Comp 9000 shocks on all 3 trucks. They seem to be the best at taming down the ride. I had Bilsteins & Ranchos & in my opinion the Pro-Comp is what makes the best ride.
I also had a 60 gallon axu fuel tank/toolbox in all 3 trucks. The 08 ride seems to be the least effected by the additional load & the 04 it helped the most.
You'll never get a "great" ride out of the truck, but you can tame it down. It is just one of those things you'll have to either live with or you need to trade for a Chevy or 08 & newer f-250.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

What's your tongue weight?
Old 03-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an 05 and now an 07 Harley F250 .
Coming from a half ton Gm the Ford rides like a truck but compared to the Gm it IS a truck .
If you can get a ride in another F250 and compare its ride to yours . Your truck has 20s on it so that won't help the ride but it should bounce all over like you say .
What tires does the truck have now ?
They came stock with Goodyears that were good for a year .
I tried Michelins then Nitto . The Michelins were by far the best riding and longest lasting . Good luck .

Paul
Old 03-31-2010, 08:29 AM
Registered

Fords aren't known for their plush rides....especially 3/4T and heavier. GM's shine in that category. Some air bags in the rear will help a bunch. If your winch stand is adjustable and no rear clearance issues, try moving your boat forward and inch or two. Shocks too, if you're still running the originals. Good luck.........
Old 03-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

We added air bags to the rear of our Diesel F-250. night and day difference for towing. wish we had done it years ago. We had towed a heavy 42 baja with it, and the air bags make a huge difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.