If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member Platinum Member check300's Avatar
    My Boats:
    43 Checkmate Punisher
    A boat doesn't have to be going very fast to do bad things. I have a friend who experienced a spinout and was only running in the 60's. Wasn't pretty. Any time in Lake Michigan over 45 I wear my lifeline offshore vest and any thing over 65-70 on inland water. I like to go fast and would like a shot at doing it again the next time.

My Boats:
    1989 Scarab Panther
    Harwich, MA
    My wife and I always wear the PFD. I have only worn the lanyard when running hard, although I plan on wearing it always this year.
    I have been boating all my life, I'm a pretty good swimmer, but it's hard to swim when you are unconcious!
    We started wearing the PFDs religiosly a couple of years back when my then three year old asked why she had to and we didn't!
    I have become very accustom to it now and it has become an automatic thing to do before we shove off.
    I have everyone on board wear them because accidents happen very suddenly!

You never know what can happen when you are out on the water. I once had a motor bracket break at WOT (65mph) and I hooked left and barrel rolled. Serious injuries to my right leg, but I had my Lifeline on. Another time, a different boat lost his steering and slammed into the side of me. Strange things can happen. Things happen that you never expect.

This boat in the picture below ran over top of a Bayliner one night, running no more than 60mph. Both people in the Bayliner died from blunt force trauma, but you'd expect the Advantage occupants to escape with little harm --- but they didnt have PFD's on --- all three people in the Advantage died -- from drowning. They would have probably lived if they were wearing PFDs.

A very, very tragic accident, and 5 families grieving.

I *always* wear a PFD.

Last edited by BK; 04-22-2002 at 09:54 PM.

Charter Member #818 Charter Member MACDAD260's Avatar
    My Boats:
    '93 Baja 260/502 Mag
    West Michigan & Higgins Lake
    I wear a SOSpenders inflatable fanny pack and the lanyard most of the time when on Lake Michigan. Always if I am by myself. I have two of the belt packs (fanny pack) and lots of regular PFDs on the boat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12