Notices

Who wears their PRD?

Old 04-22-2002, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

A boat doesn't have to be going very fast to do bad things. I have a friend who experienced a spinout and was only running in the 60's. Wasn't pretty. Any time in Lake Michigan over 45 I wear my lifeline offshore vest and any thing over 65-70 on inland water. I like to go fast and would like a shot at doing it again the next time.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

My wife and I always wear the PFD. I have only worn the lanyard when running hard, although I plan on wearing it always this year.
I have been boating all my life, I'm a pretty good swimmer, but it's hard to swim when you are unconcious!
We started wearing the PFDs religiosly a couple of years back when my then three year old asked why she had to and we didn't!
I have become very accustom to it now and it has become an automatic thing to do before we shove off.
I have everyone on board wear them because accidents happen very suddenly!
Old 04-22-2002, 09:47 PM
BK
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You never know what can happen when you are out on the water. I once had a motor bracket break at WOT (65mph) and I hooked left and barrel rolled. Serious injuries to my right leg, but I had my Lifeline on. Another time, a different boat lost his steering and slammed into the side of me. Strange things can happen. Things happen that you never expect.

This boat in the picture below ran over top of a Bayliner one night, running no more than 60mph. Both people in the Bayliner died from blunt force trauma, but you'd expect the Advantage occupants to escape with little harm --- but they didnt have PFD's on --- all three people in the Advantage died -- from drowning. They would have probably lived if they were wearing PFDs.

A very, very tragic accident, and 5 families grieving.

I *always* wear a PFD.

Last edited by BK; 04-22-2002 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:57 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear a SOSpenders inflatable fanny pack and the lanyard most of the time when on Lake Michigan. Always if I am by myself. I have two of the belt packs (fanny pack) and lots of regular PFDs on the boat.