Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Got back the sonic today...New JL sound..PICS (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/227626-got-back-sonic-today-new-jl-sound-pics.html)

Plum_Crazy 04-03-2010 02:48 PM

How did you get those subs there? Did you move the batteries?

I think I'll be copying your layout. It looks great!

Don't Bite Me! 04-03-2010 02:56 PM

Nice system. Did you need to add batteries or any other power?

Therapy Session 04-03-2010 03:06 PM

Looks great. Those JL's sound great. I have the 7.7's and have a real clear sound. I am running four 7.7's with tweeters and four 6.5's and 2 ten inch subs and in my little 28 foot boat its gets pretty loud.

tieboy 04-03-2010 03:31 PM

Focal are the s&^*t they do sound much better but better means more $$$$$

FuelinAround 04-03-2010 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy (Post 3080535)
How did you get those subs there? Did you move the batteries?

I think I'll be copying your layout. It looks great!

I just pushed the batteries way back in the corner and the widened the original 6x9 holes to hold them. I will get some better pics for you. I run 2 blue top optimas right now. Have the 2 motors wired to one and the audio and accessory stuff to the other. I will be adding another blue top to the accessory side. I detailed the boat today and let the system play for about 4 hours and it was still over 12 amps....Pretty impressive. If you are copying my layout watch out for the water tank on the port side. Saw dang near got it.

sdodson1 04-03-2010 08:24 PM

how do those subs sound? I have 2 M10IB5-SG's sitting in my living room to go in mine next week. They are the internal baffel JL's and say no enclosure needed. I am worried about them but in my Fastech there's nowhere to put them I can build a box in so there going under the back bench seat. I did get a JL 1800 series amp but I have never tried a sub without an enclosure.
Yours looks great!
SD

redbud35 04-03-2010 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by animalhouse (Post 3080519)
FOCAL K2 Series. That is the latest and greatest. But the JL stuff is still really good as well. Looks good.

X2 On the Focal. They are the clearest and loudest speakers I've ever heard. I put 14 6.5's in my boat with 2 12" subs in boxes. WOW!

Sydwayz 04-03-2010 09:55 PM

Are those tiny ones tweeters only or full range? What size?

Looks great.

FuelinAround 04-03-2010 10:52 PM

*The infinite baffels sound pretty good. The bass isn;t as tight as a sealed box but you still get the bass effect. I will probably rebuild my bench next winter with two custom boxes on each end. I don;t know if its necessary but I always have to be tinkering with something.
*The tweeters are 1in tweeters and highs only.
All in all I tested out some country today, some metallica, some old school rap and new and was very impressed with the speakers. My ultimate test is to see how well I can hear it while running full throttle in poker runs.

gare 04-03-2010 11:10 PM

Enclosure for you 10 " subs

Originally Posted by kyboy1020 (Post 3080434)
It screams pretty good. I used a memphis audio marine amplifier on it. Memphis is a really good name that I have used in show cars for years they just don;t have the JL clout yet. The open air subs sound pretty good but I used an old amp instead of replacing it with a memphis also so I feel they are lacking a little power. I deffinitely got to the top of my budget here and just couldn;t afford to do another amp that day. I think in the long run next winter I may have them build some custom boxes in the rear bench to "tighten" up the sound. I am on my way now to do some more testing and tunning on it. Only got to heatr like one or two songs so today I will push some rap, classic rock, country, and metal through it to see how impressive they really are. The clarity was awesome on the rap songs yesterday. Thanks for the kudos guys!

Bear in mind if you have the infinite baffle subs, they were designed for operation in free air( no enclosure). If you do put enclosures behind them, they would need to be at least 2cubic feet. I'd say if they ARE the 10IB-5s, how they sound now is as good as they will sound. Which is usually pretty good. JL Audio has a page on FaceBook where you can ask questions and get a pretty quick response. ENJOY. You bought the best.