Boat Registration Recommendations >

Boat Registration Recommendations

Notices

Boat Registration Recommendations

Old 04-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Registration Recommendations

Alright, figured I'd ask some advice and see if anyone had any thoughts.

I bought my boat 3 years ago in AR from some guy who was a friend of a friend of a friend. I got a bill of sale that said he would have the title to me in 30 days. Well after a year of waiting, and trying to hunt this dude down, I still had not received the title, so I went to TX Parks and Wildlife to see what they recommended. The lady told me "we can't prove this boat exists without a title." I told her I had it on the back of my truck and she could come out and touch it to prove it did exist. She wasn't having it. So I left and haven't bothered with it since. Anyway, does anyone know of any way to get this boat registered in TX. I'd like to hunt this guy down and take him to court, but at the same time it sounds like a huge pain. I just want to get it done before I get a ticket.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

PM sent
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My boat came from Arkansas, and from what I remember the trailer had a title, but the boat did not. All I needed was the bill of sale, along with the current registration.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Boats in Arkansas do not have titles. Trailers do. Bill of sale plus personal property assesment and proof of liability insurance gets your lisence. I would see about getting a bill of sale. Also you could possibly take the Arkansas registration numbers and talk to a county Department of Finance and Administration and find out to whom the boat was registered. Most small counties offices are not too busy and most are very helpfull if they are approached nicely. Good luck
Old 04-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ziemer
My boat came from Arkansas, and from what I remember the trailer had a title, but the boat did not. All I needed was the bill of sale, along with the current registration.
Correct in Arkansas the trailer gets titled but not the boat. And the owner I purchased it from never registered it in Arkansas. The original owner registered it in OK but that doesn't do me any good.