Notices

Bilge pump hose?

Old 04-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilge pump hose?

So what kind of hose are you using in your boat for your bilge? I have a Fountain that i am rerigging , and i have looked high and low for the matching ribbed clear hose that came in it originally. I have flipped through the pages of McMaster carr more times than i can count , and just cannot seem to find the exact match. I know there are a bunch of different ones that will work , but kinda like what came out of it.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dookie
So what kind of hose are you using in your boat for your bilge? I have a Fountain that i am rerigging , and i have looked high and low for the matching ribbed clear hose that came in it originally. I have flipped through the pages of McMaster carr more times than i can count , and just cannot seem to find the exact match. I know there are a bunch of different ones that will work , but kinda like what came out of it.
dookie. I would buy the best hose that money can buy. The attached story is how I sank a boat because the original hose supplied by a boat manufacturer failed after a few years. Not sure what Fountain uses but I would go with something better than an OEM product. A few feet of hose can't cost very much. Good luck with it.
Bob

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ula-419-a.html
Old 04-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Registered

Ive got stainless in the skater.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Registered

Ok , what is the best? THe stuff that came out was a little discolored , but seemed to be holding up great and was not in bad shape , but like i said its ugly , and i have replaced almost everything , and this is almost the last of it..... Stainless bilge hose? havent seen this yet. point me in the direction , how bad can it be???
Old 04-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
dookie. I would buy the best hose that money can buy. The attached story is how I sank a boat because the original hose supplied by a boat manufacturer failed after a few years. Not sure what Fountain uses but I would go with something better than an OEM product. A few feet of hose can't cost very much. Good luck with it.
Bob

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ula-419-a.html

I started out just changing the motors for a little more power . Then said , I need to paint the bilge ,and buy one new bilge pump. Then figured if one is giving me problems , I need to go ahead replace the other. Same thing with the inner transom plates , Pulled one because it showed damage. Got to looking at the other , and decided to change it as well. Then started looking at some of the aluminum backing plates , noticed they were a little corroded , I have a machine shop , so cut out all new ones. Started thinking , I ought to start changing all the through hull boats in the transom , so i did just that ,changed and resealed all of them. Fresh air blowers , and duct , the same treatment. Hydraulic lines that go through the outdrive , looked a little rusty , so i figured whats a couple hundred more , for some peice of mind ... I had no idea , that i would ever go this far , for a couple of miles per hour. Glad I did though...
Old 04-10-2010, 09:08 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dookie
I started out just changing the motors for a little more power . Then said , I need to paint the bilge ,and buy one new bilge pump. Then figured if one is giving me problems , I need to go ahead replace the other. Same thing with the inner transom plates , Pulled one because it showed damage. Got to looking at the other , and decided to change it as well. Then started looking at some of the aluminum backing plates , noticed they were a little corroded , I have a machine shop , so cut out all new ones. Started thinking , I ought to start changing all the through hull boats in the transom , so i did just that ,changed and resealed all of them. Fresh air blowers , and duct , the same treatment. Hydraulic lines that go through the outdrive , looked a little rusty , so i figured whats a couple hundred more , for some peice of mind ... I had no idea , that i would ever go this far , for a couple of miles per hour. Glad I did though...
Amazing how one thing can lead to another with these boats of ours. Some things are cosmetic and some parts if they fail ( like a bilge pump discharge hose ) can really bite us. Stainless may be overkill since some of the pumps themselves may be just plastic. I am not familiar enough with any of the hose products to steer you in any particular direction but I would think something that may be wire braided or reinforced. Maybe someone here has some experience with it.
Bob
Old 04-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try Hamilton Marine. They're very good for plumbing stuff. I found the 1-1/8" ribbed stuff there, although it has a black tracer in it.
Attached Thumbnails Bilge pump hose?-bilgeport20080411_crop.jpg  

Last edited by C_Spray; 04-10-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Registered

Thanks Cspray , Man your bilge looks great , is that in the middle of a redo? Mine is still a mess because its not all tied down yet , although slowly getting there . That is the exact hose im looking for.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I used the 1-1/8" marine fuel lines with wire in. Kind of expensive though.