Upper gears: #3,#3A,#4  drives

Notices

Upper gears: #3,#3A,#4  drives

Old 04-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Upper gears: #3,#3A,#4  drives

Attention: All owners of Mercury Racing #3, #3A, #4, and #5 SSM drives. As you well know Mercury has decided to no longer make available any gears, shafts etc. for these drives. GK Systems Inc. has obtained permission, from Mercury Marine, to use the original blueprints and OEM manufactures of these pieces and will have available new, near net forged straight cut splined 1.31:1 upper gear sets.

Two different sets are now in production. 1 set will service the #3A and #5 drives. It is exactly the same set as the one that was discontinued by Mercury #43-818823A1. The other set, which was NEVER available from Mercury will have a near net forged straight cut splined gear and a "shaft" that will work in #3 and #4 drives. Polygoning for #4's will be available and will be extra.

Pricing on these sets was $2968.57 (retail) when they were available through Mercury. Pre-production discounts are available with a 10-12 week delivery time. Builder and multiple discounts also.

Think ahead: Keep your drives. You DON'T have to switch to another drive. Other ratios may become available if demand exists. For now GK is only going to have available the 1.31:1 ratio upper gear set and the next set that will be produced will be the lower gear sets in a 1.125:1 ratio.

PLEASE NOTE: These gear sets are made in the USA by the same company that made them for Mercury Racing using the Mercury blueprints. They are NOT made overseas!

Also GK has new propshafts for LH and RH #3A and #5 drives and can supply new "big-shaft" propshafts for #4 and #3 drives.

Please pass the word on to anyone that has a boat with these drives.

Contact GK Systems by e-mail at: [email protected] (note spelling: systms, not systems)

Gary
Old 04-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

Great job!!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Schweet! Hammer down!
Old 04-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Great news , what about the lower gears are you doing these as well ?

Rick G.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I will do the lower gear sets, when I can afford to do 25 sets. Right now I have all my capital tied up in 50 sets for #3A & #5's and 50 sets for #3 & #4 drives.
I'm going to eventually have the vertical shafts, propshafts ( I have 20 LH and RH now ), spur gears and maybe lower housings. Time and demand will tell.
Please pass the word around to anyone interested in #3, #4, #3A and #5 drives. There has to be quite a few that were thinking that they were s--- out of luck when it came to a rebuild. I did the 1.31:1 upper gear set, to start, after talking to Matt @ TNT and Randy @ Marine Drives, to determine the set that was the most popular. The commitment to a production run is great, so I don't want to run 1.44:1 nor 1.50:1 sets, of the net forged splined upper gears unless the demand justifies the run.
My next "run" will be the lower gear sets in a 1.125:1 ratio for #3A and #5 drives. Possibly in a month or two. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the positive response.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here are some pictures of the Mercury gear #43-847823A1, 1.31:1 ratio, that will be available soon. It is made using the original Mercury prints, by the same supplier, in the USA, that made the net forged gears for Mercury Marine.
Attached Thumbnails Upper gears: #3,#3A,#4 &#5 drives-3a-5-upper-gears-001.jpg   Upper gears: #3,#3A,#4 &#5 drives-3a-5-upper-gears-004.jpg   Upper gears: #3,#3A,#4 &#5 drives-3a-5-upper-gears-003.jpg