Notices

Freeze plugs popped

Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freeze plugs popped

Well I went to summerize my engine and I found four freeze plugs in the bilge.

Couple of questions, does that necessarily mean that I had a freezing problem? I drained the block just like every other time, don't use anti-freeze, but I guess I need to start. We did have some unusual cold weather in TX this winter.

Can I use the same plugs or need new ones?

How do I install them?

thanx
Old 03-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may want to pull the engine. If the ones on the side pushed out its a good chance the ones in the rear of the block also came out.
To install new ones the holes should be cleaned,,a socket that fits tight as possible will work.I have a aluminum plug that fits inside and drives the shoulder. Use a good sealer. DONT REUSE and make sure there brass or SS>
I would also pressure test the complete package sounds like you still had some water in the block.I have never seen freeze plugs push out without other problems.You might get lucky but a little time will save plenty $$$ and pain done the road!!! Good luck .
I use a electric heater in the really cold periods,some use light bulbs but to much trust in a bulb going out for me.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Registered

unfortunately I store my boat in a boat yard with no electrical access.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had dozens of engines come through the shop with popped freeze plugs.

ONE had only popped the freeze plug and not cracked the block as well

wish you the best,,,, but be prepared
Old 03-31-2010, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bert4332
Well I went to summerize my engine and I found four freeze plugs in the bilge.

Couple of questions, does that necessarily mean that I had a freezing problem? I drained the block just like every other time, don't use anti-freeze, but I guess I need to start. We did have some unusual cold weather in TX this winter.

Can I use the same plugs or need new ones?

How do I install them?

thanx
We did have some seriously cold weather in January...much worse than normal. I am helping a friend with the same issue. Not to piss on your parade, but he lost both exhaust manifolds, both heads and a big crack just above the lifters on the port side. I saw the exhaust manifolds cracked and checked the oil. There was water in there and I told him to get ready to sit down and cry. The cold snap of 9* here killed the whole motor. He has a useful oil pan, intake and carb...thats all that is left. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:24 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PSlonaker
We did have some seriously cold weather in January...much worse than normal. I am helping a friend with the same issue. Not to piss on your parade, but he lost both exhaust manifolds, both heads and a big crack just above the lifters on the port side. I saw the exhaust manifolds cracked and checked the oil. There was water in there and I told him to get ready to sit down and cry. The cold snap of 9* here killed the whole motor. He has a useful oil pan, intake and carb...thats all that is left. Good luck.
Thats the normal,It takes a lot of force to drive out a frezze plug!! Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 PM
Registered

Well at least I wont be the only one, no one I know of uses anti-freeze here to winterize, just draining.

The rear plugs are in tack, if that is a hopeful sign. So how do you if you have ALL the water out of the block?
Old 03-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Registered

Why do they even put freeze plugs in if they don't save anything? Sorry.....but this sounds bad. Time to re-power!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to say it but it might not be to good for that block.
I would guess if your freeze plugs popped your oil cooler and seawater pump did to.
A long time ago I went down that ugly road.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Why do they even put freeze plugs in if they don't save anything? Sorry.....but this sounds bad. Time to re-power!
It's not their intended purpose...they're core plugs
( used in the block casting process)

I've never ran across one that had one pop out
that didn't have a cracked block.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.