Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Running off plane on a single engine. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/228310-running-off-plane-single-engine.html)

BDiggity 04-13-2010 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Shallow Minded (Post 3086607)
I started doing it last year in some of the long no-wake zones at LOTO. Not sure I'm really saving that much fuel, but figure I'm in no hurry anyway. Alternate the motors to keep the hourmeters relatively close...

Screw that! i'm afraid i wont get it started again. ;) i always run on 2, need as much help as i can get.

When we first got the boat we were idling thru the GG no wake section. Next thing i know one engine dies. So i try to get it started again, then the other one dies & we come to a drift. Neither one would refire. I then realized that they werent even getting power. i open the cabin door & see that both the engine switches are in the down position. apparantly my 5 yr old when attempting to close the door ended up hitting the switches & killing the engines. talk about going from dead panic to relief.

TexomaPowerboater 04-13-2010 05:03 PM

I run on one in gear, one in neutral just to kill the wake. If I put both in gear it will carry a wake at idle.

Smarty 04-13-2010 07:42 PM

I always try to idle on one engine, smaller wake, save fuel, quieter, ect.

fountain4play 04-13-2010 07:55 PM

It really depends on where I'm idling whether or not I shut one down...when it's really hot out i usually run on one and then switch to the other when coming back through the other direction...

FREEDOM US1 04-13-2010 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by salesmanship (Post 3086375)
I always shut all but one down.
Around Ft. Myers we have a number of slow zones.
One of the boats I sold had 50 hrs on it. When I pulled up the log on the Smartcraft, 27 hrs were between 500 and 1500 RPM.
Beside cutting down the hours there have been studies that show you do burn less fuel by running on one engine.
If you look at all of that it seems like there's no good reason to run more than one.
Of course if you have power steering on just one motor it gets a little trickier.

WOW!!! I'll feel better the next time I blow something up!! I'm saving fuel when I coming in on one motor!!:drink::drink:

RaggedEdge 04-13-2010 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by FREEDOM US1 (Post 3086763)
WOW!!! I'll feel better the next time I blow something up!! I'm saving fuel when I coming in on one motor!!:drink::drink:

Been there, done that! However I have found that the gas would have been far cheaper than the fix. Odd how running on 16 can end up being cheaper than running on 8 while dragging the other 8!

AIR TIME 04-14-2010 07:11 PM

what happens if you try this and you only have one motor????:party-smiley-004::picard1:

LowKey 04-16-2010 07:12 AM

Some good points made here. If youre going to try it, I would think that keeping the run time equal on both blocks is important (longrun).

Steve H 04-16-2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by LowKey (Post 3088502)
Some good points made here. If youre going to try it, I would think that keeping the run time equal on both blocks is important (longrun).

I'm pushing a 1,000 hours on the clocks, so a few hours here or there don't matter too much to me.

TxHawk 04-16-2010 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by fountain4play (Post 3086753)
It really depends on where I'm idling whether or not I shut one down...when it's really hot out i usually run on one and then switch to the other when coming back through the other direction...

Me too. I don't like for mine to idle in gear at less than 1000-1100 RPM's. So I always keep one at idle so they are both at 1000+. I tend to shut one off after midnight. Its always fun to see other boaters admirring the sound only to be suprised by another popping off.