Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are sea pumps and sea strainers the same? >

Are sea pumps and sea strainers the same?

Notices

Are sea pumps and sea strainers the same?

Old 04-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I for one think it wrong to beach a performance boat, but if you insist there is way to prevent the sand issue. Run large ball valve tee fittings on your water pickups with a hose running out the side of the boat with a thru hull fitting just below the water line at idle. Off plane switch the manual valves to pull water off the side of the boat. DO NOT forget to switch back before planning off.
That's a pretty smart idea. I like it. Has anyone ever done such?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I for one think it wrong to beach a performance boat, but if you insist there is way to prevent the sand issue. Run large ball valve tee fittings on your water pickups with a hose running out the side of the boat with a thru hull fitting just below the water line at idle. Off plane switch the manual valves to pull water off the side of the boat. DO NOT forget to switch back before planning off.
I agree beaching is not my favorite option, but when that is all you have locally there is not many options. I can be off work and on the river in about 30-45 minutes (counting going home and getting my boat and going to the ramp). KY LAKE is about 2.5 hour drive from me so its harder to make it there consistently. We have nowhere to tie up here due to barges that wake you if you are tied together. One of our islands has NO OPTION to back in due to a sharp drop off after about 7 foot, and the other island you can do it at if you get there early enough for a water spot (side fills quick). My boat is my favorite thing in the world (next to my son) and I treat it with great care but I just don't have the right amenities to never beach it. I understand that some of you live in places that offer every amenity one could need to boat and treat your boat with perfection. I will not be changing the setup on my boat after gaining this new knowledge. I will just do as always and try to trim up and be as good to her as I can.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Isnt it the same as the water pickups on a TRS? Since the TRS doesnt have water pickups, you have to use thru hull pickup. If you are going to use thru hull fittings, why then even use the pickup in the drive? Seems like it would just be easier to plug it & forget it & let the hull pickup do it all. **Just asking, not saying i have all the answers.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I did it on a 35 Motion with 1200's. There is a place called Blarney Island in Illinois that is a true hot bed for go fast boats to hang on Thursday night drag races. It gets real shallow (4') and real muddy water. After packing the innercoolers I came up with this plan of a high water pickup to come into dock. A local 36 Skater did the same thing only with electric valves after seeing my setup. I did not want to chance losing an engine to a failed valve.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BDiggity
Isnt it the same as the water pickups on a TRS? Since the TRS doesnt have water pickups, you have to use thru hull pickup. If you are going to use thru hull fittings, why then even use the pickup in the drive? Seems like it would just be easier to plug it & forget it & let the hull pickup do it all. **Just asking, not saying i have all the answers.
The hull pickups are almost worse as they are at the very bottom of the boat. A drive can be trimmed up.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

The hull pickups are almost worse as they are at the very bottom of the boat. A drive can be trimmed up.
I have hull pick ups. I have friends with drive pickups. mine sit at the same height, but they can trim up and avoid sucking sand.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea. One step further is to have that valve controled by a 12v. selinoid valve then it could be done from the helm with the flick of a switch.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I did it on a 35 Motion with 1200's. There is a place called Blarney Island in Illinois that is a true hot bed for go fast boats to hang on Thursday night drag races. It gets real shallow (4') and real muddy water. After packing the innercoolers I came up with this plan of a high water pickup to come into dock. A local 36 Skater did the same thing only with electric valves after seeing my setup. I did not want to chance losing an engine to a failed valve.
Oops. sorry I didn't read them all before I replied. Actually you could install a sail swich in the line that would control an indicator light on the dash. if the light is on the water is flowing through the hull intake.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Registered

I live , and boat on the coast . THis subject hits right at home for me. Last year the fourth or fifth time out for me was a 2.5 hour run to the Blues air show where it is a huge raft up party. I backed my boat right up onto the shallow sand bar , like i had done a half dozen times with smaller runabouts with zero trouble. All was good , and had no idea i had sucked the sand into both cooling systems and impacted them beyond belief. When i cranked up and left it was not 5 mins away before i started noticing the engines heating up rapidly. An 8.5 hour tow later I made it back to the dock ,(because of a dear friend). I spent 10 hours the next day cleaning engines , coolers , lines ,etc. the next weekend another 2 hours changing both seawater pumps. That sunday , Put in at a pretty nice state launch that I had no worries about , and within minutes was churning sand and mud. Almost instantly one motor was heating up. The other was fortunate enough to not clog . I loosened the hose clamp at the top of the cooler , pulled the hose , and had the wife crank the motor , luckily it wasnt impacted enough , and in a few seconds it built enough back pressure to push the sand through. Boated that day with no more issues , but very very wary of shallow water. On the way home coming into the same dock , (on low tide) , struck bottom and fought the clogging issue on both motors again. My wife is at this time "over" my boating hobby and extremely upset,and demanding we sell it.
Anyways sorry for the long write up but it was a miserable experience for me , and i have been searching for a solution to this trouble ever since. At the end of the year I sold my motors for bigger power , and hope to be reinstalling the new power within the next couple of weeks . I have bought sea strainers , knowing they probaly will not solve my problem , but if i can just clog them up only , I figure that I can clean them out a whole lot easier , than disassembling the entire cooling system.

With the above being said , I mentioned to my partner in business the other day whom is a mechanical genius , the exact same concept that you threw out there . And he said man thats a pretty good idea. But, I had never heard of this being done before. I toyed with the idea of just putting the high water pickups on the back of the boat , But could not come up with enough good info to justify cutting more holes in the back of my transom , for the faint hope of solving a problem.
SOmeone list those electric valves and I think that I might just try this.....

Last edited by dookie; 04-14-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-15-2010, 06:36 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

if you have a Grainger near by you should be able to find everthing you need there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.