Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Trailer security / anti-theft (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/22901-trailer-security-anti-theft.html)

kook 04-24-2002 07:25 AM

Trailer security / anti-theft

First off, I want to make sure this thread does not turn into a thread on auto alarms.

My tow vehicle ('90 F150 4x4) is used primarily to tow the boat. Otherwise, I use it once a week perhaps. For anti-theft, I have installed an ignition kill switch - I can remember to physically hit this switch when I need to leave the truck unatended for extended periods of time.

What about trailer security? Even with the truck's ignition disabled, what's to prevent someone from unlatching the trailer and taking it (worst case - with the boat on it!)?

I see a couple ways to deter this from ever happening, and am looking for feedback:

(1) Install locks on both the ball mount pin and on the trailer coupler release latch. I'm not too thrilled about this method - I think one or both of the locks used in these cased could be disabled by bolt cutters and/or a hacksaw. Plus, if for some reason I leave the boat/trailer detached from the truck, someone can still take it away, even with a latch lock. Sure, I could get one of those "helmet" type of coupler locks as well, but now we're up to a total of 3 seperate locks, each of which I would need to keep keys, and back-up keys, for.

(2) Install one of those trailer wheel locks - looks sort of like "the boot". But I think these are also secured by a rather small lock which is suceptible to cutting/sawing.

I don't live in a high crime area, but I do not know about some of the places I may decide to take my boat this season.

-Mark

Dave M 04-24-2002 07:29 AM

How about a few feet of chain and a rottweiler? :D

Offshore Addiction 04-24-2002 08:11 AM

What about protecting your drive from being stolen- contact Sternlock - great product please you may even receive a discount on your insurance premium with it.

Shane 04-24-2002 08:27 AM

I bought this lock at Lowe's the other day. It fits right in the ball receiver on the tongue and clamps to the outside. There is no way they will break it. It is made by Masterlock!

pullmytrigger 04-24-2002 08:33 AM

I leave my boat in the driveway, I save a ton of money and get to look at my boat and play with it anytime I want. There is a security issue though, I have heavy duty motorcycle cable locks around two of the four wheels that wrap around the frame of the trailer, a big "helmet type" coupler lock that prevents a hitch ball from going in the coupler and a coupler lever lock. The way I look at it you cannot really prevent someone stealing the boat if they want to bad enough but in my case my they will have to defeat four security measures to get the boat. I think the idea is to slow them down and they will maybe go look somewhere else, oh and I take the props off also. A dog makes noise but if thats all there is they will just shoot the dog. Slow em down guys. The Marina lost my 33 Donzi for me and I never want to go through that again, no locks, just left it in their driveway.......easy pickens....Doug

kook 04-26-2002 06:46 AM

ttt

cuda 04-26-2002 10:01 AM

Where can I park mine to have it stolen?????:D Just kidding, it's not even insured for theft.

obnoxus 04-26-2002 10:23 AM

Sorry, and don't take this the wrong way,, but if they want it they will get it !!!! Locks just keep honest people honest!!! I have a hitch pin lock, a coupler lock, drive lock, prop lock, and wheel locks. The boat is insured,,,, thats about all you can do and stay sane about it.

bluellama 04-26-2002 11:35 AM

I run a Canada Customs Warehouse, and a security company in Ottawa, Ontario.
For what it's worth here is how we secure trailers left in our bonded yard - we have a waterproof electrical outlet box on a post in the yard, the alarm wire runs from the panel to the bottom outlet, and from the top outlet back to the panel, we then run an extension cord with two male ends through the trailer, and plug each end into the outlet box. When the system is armed, the zone loop is completed, if someone cuts the extension cord, or removes it from the box, the alarm system trips, triggering a siren, calling my cell phone, and the monitoring station.
Sorry for the long post, if anyone wants anymore info feel free to drop me a line.
Steve Boxma
www.boxmatotalsecurity.com