Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat ='s what percentage of annual income? >

Boat ='s what percentage of annual income?

Notices

Boat ='s what percentage of annual income?

Old 04-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allicat38
What do you guys think low , average , and high income numbers are. I say roughly

Low 30 to 50
Aver 50 to 80
high 80 to 150
150 and up, i say great for you. Get what you want. At that stage you are probally pretty smart finacially.
The problem with these scales, is that rarely is geographic location taken into account. For example, it costs A LOT more to live in CT than say, AR.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:33 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

If you buy a boat that you must worry financially if you can use it because of the cost of; maintenance, fueling it (especially at today's fuel costs), fixing it when it breaks (not if but when), paying for a slip & winter storage if needed then you are buying to much boat.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Registered

500k last year
2000 baja 25 outlaw
paid cash 3 years ago
spend about $10,000 per year in gas, maintenence, repairs, insurance, depreciation, etc
boat about 50-75 hours per year
so about 2% of income spent on boating
Last year had to replace engine in boat at a total cost of near $10,000 was a hit but not a deal breaker

I would DEFINATLY say that the cost of owning a high performance boat is in the maintainence, repairs, gas, insurance, depreciation, etc. The cost of the boat is not nearly as important. Start out small and work your way up. You will learn SO MANY costly things when boating. And having a $200k boat means your going to learn all those costly mistakes at a much higher level. Your better off learning them on a cheaper boat. Once you feel comfortable and are acustomed to the costs of owning a $50k boat you can decide and work your way up from there.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave

To Hotjava- yes you spent money and a turndown hit.
Look at it this way- you could have invested in stock instead of buying a boat right before the downturn and you would have lost money and had nothing to show for it.

UD
Maybe I articulated it wrong but I bought after the turndown, just a couple months ago.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hotjava66
Maybe I articulated it wrong but I bought after the turndown, just a couple months ago.

Then hopefully you are equally happy.

congrats on the ride.

UD
Old 04-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Last edited by NKissau; 04-25-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: not relevant
Old 04-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BowenCT
The problem with these scales, is that rarely is geographic location taken into account. For example, it costs A LOT more to live in CT than say, AR.
It doesn't get much cheaper to live than my location... from the sounds of it, you guys would chit if you knew what percentage of my income I feel is ok to put into a boat, though (its a huge percentage). Hell, I just invested a ton- percentage wise, into a nice little garage behind the house to keep em in. Paid for place, not married, no kids, don't plan on moving, and some retirement put away, so its different than if I had a family to support, or goals of being wealthy... if my bubble bursts- the only one it effects is me.

... just do what you're comfortable with.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:23 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Originally Posted by NKissau
This thread is just killing me! WTF do you guys do with your money that it's questionable whether or not you can own a boat on 300k 500k or even 100k a year. According to the scales being thrown around here I am in the low income bracket, yet I have no trouble maintaining my boat. I own a home, take trips, etc... And I am saving for retirement on my own, no employer hand outs for me. So please give me a good reason why this is such a hard decision for some of you? My guess is that you don't really enjoy boating, you just think you want a boat? Just my .02

I think I just found my new financial adviser.... Geez NKissau who pissed in your cup of coffee this morning, loosen up. We are just having conversation.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by J.B. Marshall
I think I just found my new financial adviser.... Geez NKissau who pissed in your cup of coffee this morning, loosen up. We are just having conversation.
Watch it... you're talking about my accountant!

Old 04-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike A.
You should not buy a boat if it wipes out half of your savings. Also, do not finance the buy. You can spend $50,000 on a really fast single engine boat and have a blast! Gas, maintenance, catastrophic repairs all far less money and stress.
I wholeheartedly disagree. At 26 years old I decided I wanted a CIG so I bought one - 100% financed. My wife, friends, family, and boating acquaintances have enjoyed the hell out of it and I've even made a few friends at poker runs that I wouldn't otherwise have. It was the best money I have ever spent, and I don't think twice about it. And I agree with Frequency - you might as well stretch youself and do it while you are young and want to enjoy it. If you wait till you can afford it you won't enjoy it as much.

As far as financing goes - If I had a huge savings account I would still have the boat financed. It is on an equity line at 4% I believe which after taxes is 2.5%. So the interest costs me 1200 bucks a year - that is cheaper than 1 poker run (fuel and liquor costs).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.