Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boat ='s what percentage of annual income? >

Boat ='s what percentage of annual income?

Notices

Boat ='s what percentage of annual income?

Old 04-24-2010, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Think creative financing.

Buy a boat for 500 grand. Take a 20 yr marine mortgage on it.
Pay mainly interest and then subtract that interest amount from your gross earnings amout before you pay your income taxes.

Thats how it was explained to me but that only works in the USA. NO income deductions for mortgage interest payments here
The boat has to qualify as a second home to write off the interest correct?
Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Did someone connect the words "rational", "boats" and "money/income" in the same sentence?
Old 04-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BillR
It's the catastrophic failures that throw the figures way off.
Chit, what was that sound?

The sound of your bank account taking a bad beating of course
Old 04-24-2010, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by prholley
The boat has to qualify as a second home to write off the interest correct?
As far as I know yes. That means a porta potti, a one burner cook top and a pad to sleep on doesn't it?
Old 04-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Like they say, it's not how much you make it's how much you spend. And I would add it is how much you have saved up to this point in life.

Discretionary income: Gross income - taxes - necessities is a much better of gauge of how much boat someone can afford. If someone is still working and has accumulated 20 years worth of savings in the bank he might not blink an eye at spending an entire year's income on a boat. Where as someone making twice his salary who's in debt up to his eyeballs may not even be able to afford the gas for the same performance boat, much less the boat itself.

The question of "Are you crazy or not" depends on your particular circumstances.
I agree, in twenty years I probably would just pay cash for it. I am 31 and have only been making this money for 3 years. So this would wipe out about half my savings. Thats what im struggling with.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

It isn't the payment or fuel that is the expensive part, it is the DEPRECIATION!

My buddy just sold his 07 Top Gun this week. Buying it new (boat was a demo of sorts) he lost 125K plus fuel/insurance/maintenance over a 30 month period/260 hours of use. Boat was free and clear from day one, no loan.

125K in raw depreciation divided by 260 hours is $480 an hour. Throw in fuel/insurance/maintenance and it is probably closer to $600 an hour. So whether idling in a no wake zone or running 80 MPH to the Bahamas the boat is costing $600 an hour.

Now if you divide your usage (less hours) by the expected depreciation plus loan costs your avg. $ per hour will be substantially higher. That is when you realize your 12-15 outings a year are costing you 5K each!
Old 04-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Helicopters and Airplanes are cheaper and they are expensive.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by prholley
I agree, in twenty years I probably would just pay cash for it. I am 31 and have only been making this money for 3 years. So this would wipe out about half my savings. Thats what im struggling with.
Not only are income taxes going up but with Obama's sur-tax on medical devices you may not be selling as much and thus not earning as much.

Unless you have some rich parents or inlaws you can count on down the line don't even think about buying a $200K boat at this point in your life. You need to sock more savings away IMO.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

What about buying a 80-100K boat?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

The smartest thing to do is find a well maintained used boat that is a few years old and has already taken the big hit on depreciation. Put at least 50% down and get a short term low interest loan. If it has a porta-potti, sleeping area, and you throw in a Colman type stove, the interest can be tax deductable since it will qualify as a second home.

I did all of the above except we bought new since I couldn't find exactly what I wanted used. Although, we did get it for a fair price well below MSRP. Buying new is nice since you know exactly what you have and Formula has the 5-year warranty. To buy used you have to be flexible on your choices and take the time to completely verify the condition of the boat or you may run into other problem$.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.