Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who knows about or has experience with Hinckleys? >

Who knows about or has experience with Hinckleys?

Notices

Who knows about or has experience with Hinckleys?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
anyone?

I need some info....

T2x
What do you want to know...my stepfather has owned 4 of them....a 36, 44, 55 and now a 38. Unbelievable in every way...customer service second to none.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:24 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DollaBill
They are great boats. But, they def are designed for specific use. The jet drive is great as it will allow the 38 to get into abot 20" of water. On the flip side the jet drive sucks in any kind of seas over approx 2'. The quality is top shelf. and the nice thing is there's not a lot of bling to break or wear. I've been on models with diff power but the last one I was on had Yanmar. Geraldo Rivera has a 38 in Puerto Rico. I was on it last month with him and it's a great day boat, but it's a very wet boat in the cockpit. Thats really my only neg point.

As far as cost of ownership, I always believe in brand names and the boat will def hold it's value. Is he looking new or used?
Not sure yet on new or used....please tell me more about the jet drive in bigger seas......

I thought the cockpit was enclosed...how does it get "wet"?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:26 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by anchor
What do you want to know...my stepfather has owned 4 of them....a 36, 44, 55 and now a 38. Unbelievable in every way...customer service second to none.
Please see above......
Old 04-27-2010, 11:29 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Not sure yet on new or used....please tell me more about the jet drive in bigger seas......

It's really a "wheelhouse" design. Windshield and 2 sides. The motor box is aft of the house then seating along the stern. The 38 I was on did a tremendous amount of station-waggoning a water mist. From both the sides and stern.

I didnt like the way the boat "missed" in heavier seas due to the jet drive intake underneath.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x

The aft cockpits in all the models are open. The helm area is enclosed on three sides for the smaller models...the larger models are completely enclosed.
As far as ride goes I have only been on them in the Chesapeake Bay and we do not get any huge water up here.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
38 Picnic.......jet drives...joy stick
I love them! My favorite fat boat. Do not have one but would buy one if I could learn to enjoy it!
Steve
Old 04-27-2010, 01:05 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by anchor
The aft cockpits in all the models are open. The helm area is enclosed on three sides for the smaller models...the larger models are completely enclosed.
As far as ride goes I have only been on them in the Chesapeake Bay and we do not get any huge water up here.
The Chesapeake is not exactly calm either. Have you had any handling issues on rough days or with wakes, etc...?
Old 04-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 878 Likes on 476 Posts

I know a guy that has worked there since high school and now is very high up in FL sales. On the older ones (2001 and newer)the 36 Picnic is better in the EP (extended pilothouse) trim. The waterjets are neat but the fuel burn is 30% worse than inboard diesels and IPS is 30% better than inboard diesels so once IPS came on the market the joystick control was no big deal.

The "bling" maybe light but the woodwork is extensive and will require maintenance to keep it looking top notch. Power and Motoryacht has the new 38 Picnic (lists for 840K)on the cover this month. It is a twin diesel model. The fit and finish is top notch and I would love to have one.

There is a guy in my area that trailers his with a F350 single rear wheel and a Myco.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

http://www.riva-yacht.com/visitors/i...n&mod=aquariva

here's a better all around boat in that size and quality.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:29 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

So it sounds like IPS/Diesel is the way to go (to avoid aft "mist" and engine vapors, and to increase economy and performance). I would imagine that the draft would increase about two feet as a result....?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.