Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Buyer beware OSO member not dead!!!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/22929-buyer-beware-oso-member-not-dead.html)

supercrash 04-24-2002 05:50 PM

I agree Too Old...A new low...:(

hp500efi 04-24-2002 05:51 PM

Originally posted by TulsaLarry
I want my flowers back;)

Flowers, heck, he promised me one of those new stepped hull Baja's for a price to good to be true ;) ;) LOL. Let the fun begin

Welcome to the jungle MERC 575 :D

Advantage_Rob 04-24-2002 05:56 PM

Originally posted by hp500efi

he promised me one of those new stepped hull Baja's for a price to good to be true ;) ;)

It must be hard to sneak a whole boat out under your shirt!!!

Someone involved should start a post and see who bought what stuff from him, what they paid, if they got it, and how the deal went, kind of like an evidence post against him and have only replies from buyers, or victims, not peanut gallery guy's like me. and keep a total in the first post to keep track of 575merc's damage totals to his former employer.

cuda 04-24-2002 05:59 PM

First kudo's for the police department giving a chit!
They don't give a damn down here.

If you have the cancelled check, it will have an endorsement on it. If he cashed the check and didn' t send the equipment, he is guilty of mail fraud I believe.

Cutwater 04-24-2002 06:01 PM

Man am I embarrased, I bought the whole story and offered her help!:o

Playn 04-24-2002 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Advantage_Rob

It must be hard to sneak a whole boat out under your shirt!!!

Someone involved should start a post and see who bought what stuff from him, what they paid, if they got it, and how the deal went, kind of like an evidence post against him and have only replies from buyers, or victims, not peanut gallery guy's like me. and keep a total in the first post to keep track of 575merc's damage totals to his former employer.

That would be interesting. I'd like to know the $ figure this crime represents

CigDaze 04-24-2002 06:17 PM

Hey, I had a thought(Imagine that)...

For you law types out there:

I have a vague recolection, perhaps I once saw this in a Law and Order episode once, but I thought that misrepresenting a death or faking death was illegal.

Am I wrong here?:confused:

BK 04-24-2002 06:20 PM

Man! :mad: This whole thing is so sleazy.

I also searched the Marion Ohio and Central Ohio newspapers, and found no mention of a fatal explosion. I just assumed this story was in the print editions only :(

But I can believe there are people out there like this. Scumbags. As a matter of fact, we ran into one character in Lousiana who was nearly as slick: he owned a small marine repair shop, but knew a lot about jet boats -- he was so smooth that he talked a boating magazine into writing some articles for them. He then bribed marine businesses all over the country to send him parts to use in these articles! And they did! Some were extremely expensive parts that these companies never saw again. The tests were never conducted (of course), and it is assumed he put the parts on boats that he later sold. (he was also swapping parts off of customers boats - to finish old jobs!)

Next thing we hear, is that some boats that were at his shop were "disappering", and people who had sent him deposits couldn't reach him. One Friday, he showed up at our shop, trying to pick up a boat we were working on for him, but he didn't have the money to pay for it - and started his smooth talking excuse lines. When we told him he couldn't leave with the boat til it was paid -- in cash-- he left to "Go to the bank". Still owing us thousands of dollars, he never came back. His angry customers who went to his business reported back that it was empty. :( He had vanished.

Later, his picture appears in the headlines of an Austin Texas newspaper -- calling him "The Flim-flam Man". He had used similiar tactics to smooze an Arkansas Motorhome manufacturer, stole about $200,000 by making his own fake cashiers checks with a handy little machine inside his *new* motorhome (which actually belonged to the Austin reporters parents), and as soon as they were on to him - he disappeared again!

THEN, he is next found in Florida! His motorhome is bedecked with a banner that reads "DUSTY RHODES-CHAMPION BULL RIDER", complete with autograph cards and phony rodeo belt buckle. He befriends a local popular bar and marina on the Gulf, and they fall for his scheme. Before long - "Dusty" becomes their home town celebrity - even to the point of being Grand Marshall of the Opening day ceremonies! Incredible!!!!!!

And guess what? His last name was "Smith" too! :eek:

Last I heard he was in prison - escaped - and was caught again. No telling where he is now. Makes you wonder......:rolleyes:

US1 Fountain 04-24-2002 07:16 PM

Originally posted by TulsaLarry
I want my flowers back;)
I'll make a $100 donation to see that the flowers are still put to use for his funeral. ;)

obnoxus 04-24-2002 07:25 PM

count me in for a $100 :mad: